Kinda O.T.: School of Rock franchise?

3shiftgtr

• Members

Hey y'all....I'm on a fact finding mission so I'm posting this in a few guitar related forums at HCF, so I'd appreciate a little leeway from the mods....and I understand otherwise....I ain't no troublemaker!

Does anybody know anybody who has a School of Rock franchise? Or is associated with the company? Any input would help. Thanks!

PM's are fine if you don't want to share in front of the world.

• Members

i work at a school of rock. we are a franchise location. we were turned into one about 15 months ago. it ruined my job and my work ethic. ask away...

Anybody makin any money? Got approached recently......The fee seems reasonable...how's the support?

• Members

we are in a relatively rich area so the rents are high. our location has a giant amount of wasted space and high rent/utilities so that does not help. before i worked there, they took a huge dive because of the economic collapse. we just broke even last month. it took my boss over a year to pull that off. i used to make decent money with a guaranteed set of hours. i basically show up for 20-25 hours a week and would work based on what was scheduled. if a kid came in for a makeup or whatever and i was free, id give a makeup. my boss changed us to a per lesson payment structure and i went from being the highest paid teacher, to having to fill every open slot to make exactly what i had made before hand for the same amount of hours worked. so essentially working harder for less money

once you become a franchise, you lose a ton of corporate support and are basically on your own with marketing and advertising or whatever. it seems like it was a decent program a few years ago when paul green was around. the kids would actually play with some big names if they were talented enough. now its basically an organized teen cover band project. once the kids get older they are more interested in doing their own thing and quit. it also alienates the adult audience heavily just by nature of the company. i'd stay away from this headache. im quitting at the end of the year after 2 years teaching there and becoming the teacher with the most volume of students. i cant take it anymore. its an easy enough job but i make half of what i should be making for the amount of teaching i do and would rather do more interesting work which doesnt force me to play in the easy keys every day

keep in mind that a normal lesson spot is a music store that usually makes more off of lessons and accessories than selling equipment yet they usually have a greater volume of students. though sor has an adult program, it is very lackluster and it is more focused on the

• Members

we are in a relatively rich area so the rents are high. our location has a giant amount of wasted space and high rent/utilities so that does not help. before i worked there, they took a huge dive because of the economic collapse. we just broke even last month. it took my boss over a year to pull that off. i used to make decent money with a guaranteed set of hours. i basically show up for 20-25 hours a week and would work based on what was scheduled. if a kid came in for a makeup or whatever and i was free, id give a makeup. my boss changed us to a per lesson payment structure and i went from being the highest paid teacher, to having to fill every open slot to make exactly what i had made before hand for the same amount of hours worked. so essentially working harder for less money

once you become a franchise, you lose a ton of corporate support and are basically on your own with marketing and advertising or whatever. it seems like it was a decent program a few years ago when paul green was around. the kids would actually play with some big names if they were talented enough. now its basically an organized teen cover band project. once the kids get older they are more interested in doing their own thing and quit. it also alienates the adult audience heavily just by nature of the company. i'd stay away from this headache. im quitting at the end of the year after 2 years teaching there and becoming the teacher with the most volume of students. i cant take it anymore. its an easy enough job but i make half of what i should be making for the amount of teaching i do and would rather do more interesting work which doesnt force me to play in the easy keys every day

keep in mind that a normal lesson spot is a music store that usually makes more off of lessons and accessories than selling equipment yet they usually have a greater volume of students. though sor has an adult program, it is very lackluster and it is more focused on the

Awesome info mang.....thanks! I'll pm you here with some specific questions in a couple of days if that is cool....I'm a private teacher and have been approached by a store to start a school and he wants to see if the sor thing is viable in our market or can be modeled and/or improved on.....

• Members

My brother is the musical director for 2 locations. They are in pretty affluent areas and do pretty well with both the youth and adult programs. One opened in a southern suburb of Chicago but I haven't checked it out yet.

Is he making decent bank? Both in Chi area?

Archived