I Could Use Some Opinions Please

luckj

• Members

I've played professionally and taught nearly my whole life. Always been in a band. I finally got my site up last year and it's been going very well. I need some bling or something. I post reply's and people like it. (Yes they are real) It's a great teaching system that I developed and have taught for 30 years. It really works quickly. I get lots of great reviews but would love input from real players on the look of the site. Your opinion or criticism is greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys.

http://aceguitarmethod.com/

• Members

The site looks great, but that doesn't mean anything unless the system is good. What you're selling is what matters.

And (unless you give us some examples) we can't judge that without buying it - so this looks like spam.

After all, if you wanted a qualified opinion on the website design, why ask a bunch of guitar players? Ask a website designer.

• Members

Ill take a crack at this......
IMO the tone of the writing on the site comes off as a bit arrogant, forceful and over the top.... a bit self serving but that's just my initial impression.

When they come to me to learn they know I have something special to offer and I make them pay for it, big time. They

• Members

Just my 2 cents and how I saw things...but maybe I'm having an off day!

I kind of agree on the tone, actually. (Maybe I'm having an off day too ;))

Of course, it's pretty standard for promo jargon. Anyone selling something has to big up their product, pretend it's THE answer to all our problems. I don't really have too much of a quarrel with that. But it would be good to see some free sample exercises on site somewhere, as tasters. These days, you need to give a little away to encourage people to buy.

Otherwise - like you say - it comes across as off-putting arrogance (and how do we know this isn't the same old stuff we've all seen before, just repackaged?)

• Members

I'm just out of having delved deeper into your site, where I read this:

How would you like to make $50 to $75 an hour cash? If you already play guitar and want to teach to make some good money I can help you out. The ACE Guitar Method also offers a format that is ready for you to start earning. There

• Members

Hey, I've been a music teacher for a number of years. I've also studied at a 'prestigious' music university. Your sites description of what your teach is pretty vague. Is there a way for me to view the pdf, to see what you're actually teaching, in order to give criticism?

• Members

Hey, I've been a music teacher for a number of years. I've also studied at a 'prestigious' music university. Your sites description of what your teach is pretty vague. Is there a way for me to view the pdf, to see what you're actually teaching, in order to give criticism?

Notice he actually says he "would love input from real players on the look of the site" [my emphasis]. IOW, he's not looking for criticism of his method, just the presentation.

I guess that gets him out of accusations of spamming... ;)

• Members

I'm skeptical. After messing around with the site for a minute or two, All I got was more text about how great the method is, and nothing about the method itself.

I hope the method is valid. But the "hard sell" thing is a total turn-off for me.

• Members

. IOW, he's not looking for criticism of his
method,
just the presentation.

I guess that gets him out of accusations of spamming...
;)

Maybe it's a spam for a wider exposure....free ad.

Perhaps there's no spammy intention, but is this forum the place for it....floodgates syndrome?

• Members

Posting links to your website on popular forums such as this is a well used SEO strategy for strengthening "backlinks". So yeah, that could be the intention here...

I took a leap of faith shortly after the original post (in the "how important is theory thread) and pm'd with my email address accepting the offer for a free PDF version of the course. Lukj has replied and said it is on its way so I'm looking forward to a pleasant surprise.

FWIW I also cringe at the "secret" method / hard sell approach.

• Members

Posting links to your website on popular forums such as this is a well used SEO strategy for strengthening "backlinks". So yeah, that could be the intention here...

I took a leap of faith shortly after the original post (in the "how important is theory thread) and pm'd with my email address accepting the offer for a free PDF version of the course. Lukj has replied and said it is on its way so I'm looking forward to a pleasant surprise.

Ah-ha! That looks more promising.

If he's offering us free review copies, that's a different matter. (And if it only costs $20 to customers anyway, which is comparable with a lot of other books/DVDs out there.)

Shame he didn't repeat his offer at the top of this thread, maybe he'd have got some kinder responses.

But the hard sell is still off-putting. He's going to lose a lot more customers than he gains from any flattering testimonials.

Let us know what you think. (I may PM him too.)

He's got us talking anyway, and you know what they say about bad publicity ("no such thing as...").

• Members

OK guys I get it. No spam intended. I just wanted opinions on the site and I appreciate them. I'm just a guitarist not a designer or marketeer. All my years of teaching has given me great insight as to what the problems are for most players and I addressed them. Of course there are "no secrets" but there are ways to cut through all the crap and quickly get what most people take years to figure out. That's it. Thanks for your opinions.

TRICKY, I sent your free copy. Enjoy.

VIRGMAN, sorry, only Eddie can play like Eddie.

• Members

There are no secrets... everyone here knows this.

So any kind of marketing that leads people down that road will always receive a pretty harsh reaction. Although.. maybe that tact could work in terms of getting people to sign up?? Don't know, I have never gone that route because I have too much reverence for the process.

I don't like it because it turns me off. But maybe it will make you some cash. If you really cared about your student though you would be honest about it. Because the way it is positioned is not honest - you know it, and so do we.

Is it Organized? Targeted? Quality? - It may be all those things and more. But it is no "secret" and honestly your marketing is an insult to all those teachers who have gone before you. I know you likely don't mean it to be, but it kind of is. "Don't listen to all those mis-guided fools! Let ME show you how it is REALLY done." That is the core messaging there.

Even if it is awesome it just doesn't sit well with my life philosophy. For that reason I would have no interest. Then again, I am likely not the demographic you are after.

• Members

I received the PDF book. It appears to be book one of three, it's called "See What The Pros See". It's well produced and solid material, covering what I would call "positional basics". If I summarise the ACE Guitar Method based on this book, it's "know your fretboard notes and shapes: here's how".

Approximately half the 100 page book deals with learning the notes on the keyboard, using the technique illustrated in this very popular video:

It covers the same sort of principals, with lots of clear diagrams.

The other half moves on to visualisng scales and the patterns.

The author is clearly very keen on this method of helping you learn to be able to "see" the fretboard, on how important this is, and enthused by the difference that this method makes in speeding up that process. I reckon that's all fair. I liked this method, too, when I came across it: the best I'd found so far.

I think if you spent $20 on the book you wouldn't feel ripped off, unless you expected it to live up to the claim of "learn the guitar in hours not years". It certainly can help you to learn the _notes on_ the guitar more quickly (as the testamonials for this method on the video attest), but this is not the same as "learning the guitar".

The other two books are:

"Chords - WTF", and
"OMG, I'm playing lead".

I'd be interested to see these too, though I don't think I'd fork out $20 for each separately, myself. Actually, it's not clear to me whether you get these two other books when you pay your $20 at the ACE website, or whether these are "separate from" the ACE method, and extra.

GaJ

• Members

I also received the book - thanks luckj.

I agree with GaJ that the book is well produced and contains solid material. I would consider it helpful in providing an overview / summary of how to get to know the guitar quickly. IE fretboard organisation, movable shapes and scale patterns - that type of thing.

I believe the target audience for this book is beginners, with little to no theory under their belt and who haven't necessarily familiarised themselves with basic movable shapes & scales. Given this context, I also don't think the $20 price tag is unfair.

I have to agree with GaJ again however - this is not the same as learning the guitar and the target audience may walk away from this book thinking - OK I'm clearer on where the notes and shapes are, but what do I do with them. After all, the hard-sell really had me believing my "search was over" and that I would "never again be frustrated by confusing theory".

So luckj - as far as feedback goes (as requested) - I personally find the "your search is over", "play guitar with ease" stuff a bit (no, a lot) over the top and quite off-putting. I know there are naive, budding young rock gods out there to whom that will appeal, but I honestly believe that as JonR said above - you are going to lose a lot more customers you gain from this approach. I would tone it down... you can still profess to helping unlock the fretboard quicky, this would be more honest - but keep it real, like you do in the "One Last Thing" section of your book! I would like to quote this on here with your permission, as it really puts your book in context, something people wouldn't expect after reading your site.

Also, the website definitely targets Intermediate / Advanced players also, so I would like to know what you are offering them - this is not clear to me at all.

Cheers!

• Members

Thanks GaJ and Tricky for your very fair reviews. After all my years teaching it always seems to come back to "I don't know where to go" for students. My goal was to quickly de-mystify the neck so they could get past that. The method has worked very well and and as I said previously I get really good reviews. The chord outlines have helped my students enormously for lead, hooks and harmony work and I'm real proud of them and how fast they progress. (when they practice)

Like I said initially, I wanted opinions on the site and I got them. I agree with the fact that it may come off as "pushy, aggressive or arrogant". I thought it may come off that way and you've convinced me. Thanks, I do appreciate it. I'll will be addressing that when I figure out what to do and how. I'm just a guitarist so code and marketing is not my forte.

Along the same line I posted a video that I'll be putting on the sites front page when I figure out how. Two of my students are in it. Hope you like it.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

• Members

Thanks GaJ and Tricky for your very fair reviews. After all my years teaching it always seems to come back to "I don't know where to go" for students. My goal was to quickly de-mystify the neck so they could get past that. The method has worked very well and and as I said previously I get really good reviews. One thing you both forgot to mention were the chord outlines. These have helped my students enormously for lead, hooks and harmony work and I'm real proud of them and how fast they progress.

Like I said initially, I wanted opinions on the site and I got them. I agree with the fact that it may come off as "pushy, aggressive or arrogant". I thought it may come off that way and you've convinced me. Thanks, I do appreciate it. I'll will be addressing that when I figure out what to do and how. I'm just a guitarist so code and marketing is not my forte.

Along the same line I just posted a video that I'll be putting on the sites front page when I figure out how. Two of my students are in it. Hope you like it.

Again, thanks everyone for your input.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WbA0pDlvE4I&context=C3286eeaADOEgsToPDskL4OyfbY5JffKRZHVU0XQ7C

Just came in to point out that I couldn't find what I'd get as a customer - a book, a PDF, a Word document, a CD....? That might be something you need to address.

Here's how I would approach the site text:

I'm convinced my teaching method has been of real benefit to my students over several decades, and am so sure of its value that I'm now making it more widely available in a 100-page PDF. (or whatever).

Your goal is to play guitar well. My goal is to save you time and frustration by helping you understand the fretboard as quickly as possible.

In that style there are no wild claims, no crazy promises, but you are pushing your product nevertheless.

I go with what Stomias posted - a long list of positive testimonials reads like BS. I don't think there's anyway around that, other than by your not featuring any :confused:.

Ah! I know....

Just send me five hundred dollars and I guarantee to get your site, within three days, more hits in a week than Harmony Central clocks up in a year. Forget the search engine optimization con - I have a secret method which has changed the lives of thousands:

Pippa S - "You are the dude. I'm loaded now. Five holidays a week is wearing me down :)."

Fred T - "You managed to pull me from the brink of disaster. Thanks a million!"

;)

You have come through very well what started as a bumpy ride here - I wish you success. And don't forget, if you became a contributor here you could link to your toned-down site in your signature!

Good luck!

Archived