Can you play in a music shop?

Virgman

• Members

There have been some posts regarding "what to do" to go to the next level from beginner.

Answer this question: "If you went into a music shop to try out a guitar what would you play?" :confused::cry:

If someone handed you a guitar and asked you to "play something", could you? :confused::eek:

Can you play something? Not just noodle for a couple minutes...actually play something like a song or a solo?

If you just had a panic attack thinking about a situation like this then you probably get what you need to do. :idea:

Learn to play something! :rawk:

Actually, learn to play lots of things.

• Members

To me, if I'm playing a guitar at a shop, I'm trying to find out about the guitar - how does it feel, how does it sound, how is the fretwork, how easy and fun is it to do different stuf? I'm going to play something on all parts of the neck, play chords all over... try a bunch of things. It's just going to be noodling because I'm trying to find out about the guitar not put on a show. The trick for me is, does my noodling sound good? I might bust out pieces of something I've been working on, but I'm not going to sit down and play Stairway to Heaven all the way through. What's the point in that? I know that's not what you were asking, but my 2c on "playing in a music shop." I don't want to hear people play through entire songs at a music store. I would like to hear people playing musically. :)

To answer your question, yes, if someone specifically asked me to play a song I could. :)

• Members

grab it off the rack , bluedle a little, pluck some pet grips, tune it, the whole schtick. If the guitar interested me at all I'd ask to plug it in - I'd usually have something on the floor eyeballed by then. Then more un resaleable tests: how it crunches, breaks up, look for dead spots, does it sing anywhere, make spot cosmetic assessments, wonder about overdrives, expensive amps etc. Hand it or put it back.

• Members

As well as playing the guitar yourself, I think it's a good idea - at least if it's an acoustic - to get someone else to play it in front of you, so you can hear how it will sound to anyone listening to you play. You rarely get a good idea of the sound of an acoustic guitar by playing it yourself: either the soundhole is pointing away from you, or it's just too close. (Shop assistants rarely need much persuasion to demo a guitar for you...;))

As for what to play, there is a fine line between "test driving" it (as described above), and showing off. You want to be able to assess how fast the neck is - but you can do that with a scale in a few seconds, you don't have to play a 2 minute shred solo, or prove how well you can negotiate Snoreway to Ho-hum. Otherwise, it's technical stuff like checking the intonation, action, operation of machines and knobs, quality of craftsmanship, sound of different PU combinations, etc.

And if it's an electric, for me, generally speaking, it has to be RED...

Some guitars just aren't RED enough...

• Members

I manage a guitar store- dudes try guitars all day long (and this video nails it!).

I have NO STAIRWAY posted too. I hear a lot of horrible things... really.

It's retail though- not a performance stage. Play what you need to in order to feel out what you like, etc. It's no big deal. ;)

• Members
As well as playing the guitar yourself, I think it's a good idea - at least if it's an acoustic - to get someone else to play it in front of you, so you can hear how it will sound to anyone listening to you play. You rarely get a good idea of the sound of an acoustic guitar by playing it yourself: either the soundhole is pointing away from you, or it's just too close. (Shop assistants rarely need much persuasion to demo a guitar for you...)

Haven't been in the market for an acoustic in a long time, but that's a great idea. Seems obvious in hindsight, but I never thought about it.

• Members

Okay, I go to guitar stores to not play Stairway.

I go and play whatever comes to mind. Sometimes the tone of the guitar itself sparks an idea. Most times that idea is to put it back on the wall. Always disappointing places.

• Members

Agreed!

Once one can noodle, the learning of a full song can be achieved simply by many hours of repetitive practice so the whole thing sits well in the memory. It can be a long process of frustration, but it's the only way to move towards that next level.

I think many players put off learning to play whole songs, when really they should do it as soon as possible. I was surprised to find out just how exacting I had to be to play someone else's music instead of just noodling up my own, but it's the best way to improve....discipline, they call it.

• Members

I manage a guitar store- dudes try guitars all day long (and this video nails it!).

I have NO STAIRWAY posted too. I hear a lot of horrible things... really.

It's retail though- not a performance stage. Play what you need to in order to feel out what you like, etc. It's no big deal.
;)

:p Clear demonstration of the difference between guys that play guitar and guitar players.

I would play "39" , it's fast, short, relatively easy and sounds killer on any acoustic.

• Members

Had a dude that used to come in a store I worked in the mid 90's every other day and picked up at least 3 or 4 different guitars and play the intro solo to Metallica's Fade to Black on each guitar. Nothing else. JUst that. He'd play it 2 or 3 times, put it down, grab another and play it 2or 3 times put it down grab another. He'd play the same thing trying different amps. Nothing else, just that solo. No riffs, no noodling, just that solo start to finish.....each time.

He reinforced my opinion that tab only learning (no theory, no nothing else) can be.....um....limiting.

So, yeah, what Virg said.......at least LEARN TO PLAY LOTS OF THINGS......

• Members

I can't stand playing in a music store. I always feel people 'watching' and most of the time in a situation like that I don't want to be watched. There is just so much ego floating around it pisses me off a bit. As far as WHAT to play??? Well I guess that depends on the piece of gear you are demo-ing. If you are demoing a fat body jazz guitar... well then fat body type ideas are what you want to check. I can usually tell within a couple of seconds if a piece warrants further. If it does i take it home and try it in a rehearsal. There is very little you can tell about a piece of gear in a store, other than build quality and playability. How it sits in a mix is usually what i want to hear.

So learn songs.

: )

• Members

... but note (to state the obvious) that Virg's point wasn't about shopping for guitars, it was

Learn Some Songs

GaJ

GAJ has the winning response.

Those who did not win are encouraged to play again in the next round. However, do not play "Stairway To Heaven".

• Members

I usually play my normal warm up stuff. If I play the guitar for a bit I'll get into the normal groove. I usually get some kind of student or "let's jam" request out of it. The guys at the local Guitar Center commonly say something to the effect of, "I'm glad you came into to play today after all the beginners I've had to hear since this morning" :)

• Members

I can't stand playing in a music store. I always feel people 'watching' and most of the time in a situation like that I don't want to be watched. There is just so much ego floating around it pisses me off a bit.

Yeah, me too. If I had my way there would be "guitar trying rooms" like "clothes fitting rooms", so I can experiment with the instrument without worrying about inflicting my noise on everyone :)

GaJ

Archived