Portable recording of your own playing ?

windmill

• Members

What is the most convenient non-PC way for recording your playing and then being able to play it back on the spot.

In the old days a little portable cassette recorder with an inbuilt microphone would do the job and a modern equivalent is what I am after.

All I am seeing at the moment is recording devices for playback through a computer

If I am sitting out the back on the verandah what can I use to record and then play back on the spot ?

Thanks

• Members

Zoom makes several different portable recorders. I have the H2, which is an older model. It has done the job nicely, and I have used it to record rehearsals, guitar lessons and gigs. It works with batteries or a power source. The sound quality is OK too. They have introduced a newer model, the H2N which is supposed to be better. You can listen to the recordings with headphones or export them to a computer via a USB cable.

H2n_back_headon.jpg

Zoom also does portable recorders that film you as well, probably good if you want to do YouTube videos. In my experience these have been decent too.

Q3HD_front-rear.jpg

• Members

What about play back tho' ?

Is there one that doesn't need to played back without hooking up to a computer ?

And without the use of headphones ?

Part of the question is so I can find out what has replaced the old cassette player in this new digital age

Thanks for the reply

• Members

I use a zoom H4. It's great and has many uses. The built in mics are good, and you can plug in two outboard mics.

It's also a 4 track recorder, AND can be used as an interface.

Also for your needs it's convenient as you can go right to the beginning to listen back, and it also leaves markers when you stop the rec., so you could record several things and quickly que them up.

Love it

• Members

Quote Originally Posted by windmill

View Post

What about play back tho' ?

Is there one that doesn't need to played back without hooking up to a computer ?

And without the use of headphones ?

Part of the question is so I can find out what has replaced the old cassette player in this new digital age

Thanks for the reply

The Zoom devices do have a speaker, but these machines are clearly designed to be as small and as portable as possible - ideally pocket-sized - so you're never going to get good sound out of them without headphones (or line out into something else). They call the built in speaker a "reference speaker", indicating it's only much good for checking your recording worked wink.gif. Similar quality to an iPhone speaker I guess.

It looks like the old-fashioned cassette recorder is your only option if you want a totally self-contained unit - but of course, even if the bigger speaker is loud enough, you won't get great sound off the tape.

Archived