How to increase your finger flexibility

Virgman

• Members

Play this legato at a comfortable pace at a slightly challenging position on the neck. Playing it legato is important.

Do it everyday for a few minutes. Move to increasingly wider frets as your flexibility improves. Take your time.

Start at whatever fret is slightly a challenge for you.

----------------------------------------------------3--5--7--7--5--3--
------------------------------------------3--5--7-----------------------7--5--3---
--------------------------------3--5--7-------------------------------------------etc.
---------------------3--5--7-----
-----------3--5--7---------------
-3--5--7---------------------

• Members

Not meant as a trick question.

Paul Gilbert for example would most likely play this with fingers 1-3-4.

I myself could not play it with 1-3-4 this low on the neck, so I'd go for 1-2-4. but up on the neck (anything above 12th fret or so) I usually use 1-3-4 for two whole steps on one string idn_smilie.gif

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by Virgman View Post
Sounds good.

But for finger stretching purposes I'd be using the low frets.

This is not a lick it's just for stretching your fingers. There would be no reason to play this up the neck on the high frets.
Gotcha!

In a middle of the neck area say 5th or 7th fret this would be good for fingering 1-3-4 to work on the finger stretch between the ring-finger and pinky.

• Members
Quote Originally Posted by The Burninator View Post
I can use my pinky toe to control the wah, the big toe to control the volume pedal and the rest to turn effects on and off.
I also. I'd also go as far as to develop the musical possibilities of expression and FX via toe con. No limits if the interface worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Virgman View Post
I never heard the word "scalic" before but I like it.
Pianoers get that all the time. Those drills are to develop melodic facility that encompasses, well melody and not just licks and shapes. They work as air drills as well. Players can easily develop their own fingerobic drill sequences.

My next thread will provide toe stretching exercises for those who play with their feet.
Google images beckons ...

Archived