no question, just my status

• Members

About a month ago, I caught pneumonia and I quit drinking.

I found out I can't play guitar without drinking. (or at least not even close to where I was).

I haven't played 20 minutes in the last month.

I am starting over.

I scheduled a lesson with a teacher for this Wednesday for theory and keyboard.

I think this will help my over-all journey with music.

I know I can transfer the knowledge from these lessons (scales, chords, chord progressions, ear training, chord tones over chords, etc) back to the guitar later.

But, I won't pick up the guitar again until it becomes fun again.

If it's like work, why do it?

• Members

I almost died. Last week I couldn't take 5 or 6 steps without having to catch my breath.

When I started playing guitar about 5 years ago, I somehow tied my drinking addiction to my practicing guitar. I came home from work, opened a beer and got out the guitar.

I got two or three hours of practice in every night. 15 or 16 hours on the weekend.

Of course, after a couple of hours, quality went WAY down. But I got a lot of hours in with the guitar.

After quitting the alcohol, my body is going through some weird changes.

It's hard to explain, but timing, coordination, etc, is much different now.

If I have to start over with "Mary had a Little Lamb", I might as well learn some of this theory and keyboard.

It's pretty obvious to me, that Clapton solo I almost had down pat can wait a month or two while I go through these weird physical changes.

The lesson is obvious to me now. It wasn't as easy to see when I was addicted to smoke and drink.

I've got my whole life left. I'm not in a band or making money playing music. It will actually turn out better in the long run this way.

Oh no, I'm not quiting the guitar. Just putting it away for a minute.

• Members

phil-the-thrill wrote:

About a month ago, I caught pneumonia and I quit drinking.

I found out I can't play guitar without drinking. (or at least not even close to where I was).

I haven't played 20 minutes in the last month.

I am starting over.

I scheduled a lesson with a teacher for this Wednesday for theory and keyboard.

I think this will help my over-all journey with music.

I know I can transfer the knowledge from these lessons (scales, chords, chord progressions, ear training, chord tones over chords, etc) back to the guitar later.

But, I won't pick up the guitar again until it becomes fun again.

If it's like work, why do it?

I think I know what you mean.   It's not the same but I always associated guitar with smoking cigarettes.   

It was hard at first, but I got used to it.    It may not feel this way, but drinking and guitar really have nothing to do with each other.  

Years ago there was an ad that appeared in Guitar Player Magazine by Taylor Guitars.   It shows a middle aged man playing acoustic guitar on the couch in his living room while his wife is puttering around off to the side.  The caption reads, "I could take up drinking instead, but then my wife might not comment on how much my drinking has improved."

• Members

Ouch, man sorry to hear that Phil!

I also don't see any sort of connection. But FIRST you need to get the monkey off your back.. THEN get back into it. Your lack of co-ordination is likely due to the addiction. Ya gotta whoop that first, then resume baby steps back to guitar.

• Members

Well, I'm not exactly sure of which was which either.

I thought I had the flu. I tried to fight through it. I was so sick I didn't feel like drinking.

I've known for quite a while I had an (a couple) of addictions. Kept telling myself I had to quit, but kept putting if off till "tomorrow".

I was so sick I couldn't do any thing, drink smoke or even eat.

Apparently during that time, I started to go through withdrawals.

I guess you can't just quit drinking. You are supposed to seek medical help. Rehab, etc.

I thought I was going to die. I made my way to the hospital and they diagnosed me for pnemonia.

I took the less for that which took about another 10 days. All the while, not drinking or smoking.

I guess the total time for these events was about a month.

Pneumonia, withdrawals, both? I'm not sure.

But I beat the pneumonia and haven't started back on the addictions.

I can't make any promises, but I'm going to give it my best shot to beat the addictions.

I'm just about ready to plug the guitar back in.

I have been messing around with the keyboard and working on theory.

But my true love is the guitar. And I miss it.

I guess the reason I started the thread in the first place was to let you guys know why I appeared to drop off of the forum.

• Members

I can't figure out how to edit these things. I said "I took the less" I meant I took the meds (medicine).

But anyway, thanks to all of you for the support. It means a lot to me.

I know I can do it. (and I will do it). What did Yoda say? For a Jedi Pilot, There is no try, there is only do.... or do NOT"

But thanks guys.

Archived