Confused, need music theory help.

• Members

Alright, so I've recently purchased a book on scales, but the thing is, it says the only difference between a major pentatonic scale, and a minor pent, if they're relative minors, are the root notes, and anchor chords. But the root notes are literally, in the book, exactly the same, and what are anchor chords?

Is there a certain way you're supposed to transition from the major to the relative minor? Also, when I'm finished learning all pent scales, what is a good set of scales to learn in combination with the pentatonic? Blues, minor, what?

• Members

Music Is All wrote:

Is there a certain way you're supposed to transition from the major to the relative minor? Also, when I'm finished learning all pent scales, what is a good set of scales to learn in combination with the pentatonic? Blues, minor, what?

I think the best thing to learn is the major scale. I relate everything back to that.  The minor and major pentatonics are just subsets of it.  The modes of the major scale are easier to remember and "hear" relative to that (ie.. dorian is major scale with flat 3 and flat 7, lydian is major scale w/ sharp 4).  I treat all other scales the same way - what's changed versus the major scale.  It sounds kind of boring, but it is really the foundation.

If you're into rock and blues, the minor scale & dorian mode would be good, easy-to-appy choices.

A Minor Pent: A C D E G  (1, b3, 4, 5, b7)

A Dorain: A B C D E F# G (1, 2, b3, 4, 5, 6, b7)

A Minor: A B C D E F G (1, 2, b3, 4, 5, b6, b7)

Just adding a couple notes.  It always bugs me when folks say stuff is "just a bunch of pentatonic licks" when usually there are 6ths and 9ths all over the place. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived