Best chords for Pentatonic scales?

Music Is All wrote:

Now, I don't mean chord progressions necessarily, all I'm asking is if major, minor, suspended, sevenths, what chords work best with major and minor pentatonic scales?

It really depends on the application.  For instance you can use a major pentatonic over a major chord, a minor pentatonic over a minor chord, both over a dominant chord and so on.  And then there are substitutions like playing a minor pentatonic scale a half step below a major chord to get a dominant sound and so on...a quick search of the forum found this thread with some great info: http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/The-Lesson-Loft/Pentatonic-Substitution/m-p/24683490/highlight/true#M90320

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Hello friend, One of the most popular keys on the guitar is the key of D major. If you play country music, I'm sure you would have come across the key of D and if you are looking for the ideal scale to solo over chord progressions in the key of D look no further than the D major pentatonic scale. For more music and related stuff you can try musicforte site. It is a great site for music lovers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Mark Wein wrote:

Music Is All wrote:

Now, I don't mean chord progressions necessarily, all I'm asking is if major, minor, suspended, sevenths, what chords work best with major and minor pentatonic scales?

It really depends on the application.  For instance you can use a major pentatonic over a major chord, a minor pentatonic over a minor chord, both over a dominant chord and so on.  And then there are substitutions like playing a minor pentatonic scale a half step below a major chord to get a dominant sound and so on...a quick search of the forum found this thread with some great info: 
http://www.harmonycentral.com/t5/The-Lesson-Loft/Pentatonic-Substitution/m-p/24683490/highlight/true#M90320

Hi Mark,

Just to clarify your statement "if a minor pentatonic is played a half step below the major chord ..."

I would assume that the minor pentatonic would include the note a half step below the target major chord. That note would be the major 7th, not the dominant 7th, correct? Or am I missing something?

Thanks,

-Mike

Archived