One note at a time

• Members

My latest project is learning Satch's "Always With Me, Always With You" by ear.  One of those tunes I always liked, but never learned.  I thoguht it'd be a good challenge for my ear - not so hard I can't do it, but not so easy I can do it without some work..

For some of the faster sections I have to listen to the same tiny 1/2 second lick 50 times before I really hear it.  What's been working is just getting ONE note (first, last, or one that's being held a bit longer) in my ear and building forward or backward from there.  Also, just listening to the rhythm of the lick - get the rhythmic pattern without worrying about what the notes are.  That's actually a better first step.

Spent more than a few minutes with the right hand on the mouse, clicking the 'start position' of a lick, with my left hand on the fretboard, trying to figure it out over and over (and over)...

Interesting journey.

• Members

You could make it easier on yourself (but maybe less "interesting", less "challenging";)) by using a slowdowner, esp one that lets you loop easily.

I always use Transcribe for this kind of thing, even when I could do it at full speed - because I like to be really sure, as well as save time.

http://www.seventhstring.com/

Of course to actually play it (once learned), you need to run it at full speed.

• Members

I use Transcribe, too.  My computer crashed and I had to buy it again.  I have been working on the Hotel California solo and was doing the same thing.  Transcribe allows you to loop the same part over and over and you can slow it down.  You can also eq out the lows, but I usually don't do that.

• Members

Trying not to use a slower-downer, but we'll see how it goes on some of the faster parts later on.  I'm not opposed to it if my ear just can't get it after a good faith effort

Not sure how I'd have faired on this if i had to lift the needle on the record player to hear a lick again.  It'd take me a lot longer, but I'd probably have a better ear... trying to find the balance... :)

Archived