How do you keep track of your guitar workout ?

• Members

Every time I start a new routine to work on some new chops/technics on my guitar, I always have the question of "how am I gonna keep track of what I'm doing". I also often get the same question from my students. I used pen & paper, excel sheets, guitar pro, and basically every way I can think of in order to log my work and progression.

But today I was wondering if there is any website that allows you to do that, with a nice interface, tailored for guitarist (or musicians in general). And since I didn't find any, I was considering building my own (already started to lay down the basics), but a little feedback from other guitarists might help.

What do you currently use to log your guitar practice ? Would you use a website instead ? I'm thinking of a website where you can build a personnal routine, set goals ("work on this exercise for 5 mn a day for 2 months" or "work until I get it right at 180bpm"), statistics about your progression, ability to share exercises/routines with other users (maybe an exercises database, sorted by technics, difficulty & such, that would be neat), built-in timer & metronome to help you, e-mail reminder in case you get lazy and need a little motivation, maybe publishing your stats so you can boost your ego etc...

So what do you think about that ? Any suggestions ?

• Members

I use an excel spreadsheet, which I've tweaked over the years to track what I want.  Use it pretty much every day.

2012 Template Here

I think the website sounds cool and would be nice for some people - you've got a lot of great ideas about making it more than just a web-based spreadsheet.  Personally, though, I'd probably just keep using my spreadsheet because it works for me and I can tweak it every year as my needs change.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Just a spurious though about this. Methodically going about technical work is perhaps the best way but what about application? One pass decorum? Incoherent jazz? Classical performers have of course the standard set of technical requisites. This body of ability takes years to cover. The difference in their curriculum is the repertoire. It develops ground up and challenges the student in a relentless but logical progression. From basic athletics to the finest nuance, the workouts are always keyed to the requirements of the current material.

Cannot unremember. And you end up on the accomplished side of the industry.

Archived