9/8 notation / theory question

• Members

Hey All,

Wondering if someone could clarify this for me. 

First pic is the question, with my attempted answer, the second is the answer from the book. 

As my solutions are different, and the book usually states when answers "may vary", however doesn't in this case so I assume my attempts are incorrect.

Could someone explain my problem(s) in each of the 3 bars please?

Thanks heaps!

IMG.jpg

IMG\_0001.jpg

• Members

Hey Jeremy,

Thanks for your time as usual!

The scan looks like it cuts off some of the instruction, but all the book says is:

"use notes and rests as directed to complete these bars. Note that crotchet rests may be used as in 6/8 time, i.e on the first and second pulses of the group of three, NOT in the second and third."

The way I see it, I have only used crotchet rests on the first "pulse" of a group...

If there isn't anything else really obvious then I'm not too unhappy with my understanding I suppose.

Cheers

• Members

Tricky wrote:

Hey All,

First pic is the question, with my attempted answer, the second is the answer from the book. 

As my solutions are different, and the book usually states when answers "may vary", however doesn't in this case so I assume my attempts are incorrect.

Thanks heaps!

IMG.jpg

IMG\_0001.jpg

Looks like you just missed bar 3. Says 2 rests, 4 notes. You have 1 rest, 4 notes.

• Members

Usually these things seem to make no sense... until you try to read a chart that is not done right. It is a common practice to not 'cover' the strong beats... so if you think of this as 3 groups of three (instead of one big group of nine) and make sure beat one of each of those three is visible - with either a rest or a note - then it is easier to read. It's the same with reading in 4/4 - you dont cover beat three because the reader sees it better as 2 groups of 2.

• Members

1001gear - regarding bar 3 - not sure how to quote your post directly - but Damn, so I did! 

Thanks for picking up on that!

EDIT: (Found the "quote" button)

1001gear wrote:

Tricky wrote:

Hey All,

Thanks heaps!

IMG.jpg

IMG\_0001.jpg

Looks like you just missed bar 3. Says 2 rests, 4 notes. You have 1 rest, 4 notes.

• Members

Judging from the printed answer, the wording of the question is meant to be taken quite literally - they want the notes and rests in the order given, not in any order you like.

So "1 rest and 2 notes" means they want to see 1 rest first, followed by 2 notes.

Otherwise your first two answers would be correct. (The use of notes and rests relative to the beat is fine - the notation is correct as it stands, it just doesn't answer the precise question asked.)

I'd agree the question could perhaps have been a little clearer - or (alternatively) could have allowed a variety of correct answers such as yours. (Excepting your 3rd answer, which only contains 1 rest, as pointed out.)

• Members

JonR wrote:

Judging from the printed answer, the wording of the question is meant to be taken quite literally - they want the notes and rests
in the order given
, not in any order you like.

So "1 rest and 2 notes" means they want to see 1 rest
first, followed by
2 notes.

Otherwise your first two answers would be correct. (The use of notes and rests relative to the beat is fine - the notation is correct as it stands, it just doesn't answer the precise question asked.)

I'd agree the question could perhaps have been a little clearer - or (alternatively) could have allowed a variety of correct answers such as yours. (Excepting your 3rd answer, which only contains 1 rest, as pointed out.)

Very sharp JonR - great answer. Perhaps the word "respectively" or something might have given me more of a hint. 

I'll be looking out for this when working through the rest of this series of books - thank you!

Archived