Practice questions

• Members

Hello everyone

So it is near the end of my summer holidays, so back to school I go. I'm not going to be able to practice the 3 hours I have been during the summer. I'll probably be able to get in 1-2 hours each day. Because of that I'm not going to have time to do all I want to in each session.

So should I rotate what I'm doing daily, weekly, or just don't work on all the stuff at the same time? My long term goals are to compose good music, improvise well in blues, funk, jazz, and rock.

Thanks

PrinceGeorge

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

• Members

PrinceGeorge wrote:

Hello everyone

So it is near the end of my summer holidays, so back to school I go. I'm not going to be able to practice the 3 hours I have been during the summer. I'll probably be able to get in 1-2 hours each day. Because of that I'm not going to have time to do all I want to in each session.

So should I rotate what I'm doing daily, weekly, or just don't work on all the stuff at the same time? My long term goals are to compose good music, improvise well in blues, funk, jazz, and rock.

Thanks

PrinceGeorge

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

IMHO I would focus on doing fewer things more often.  Take a look at what parts of our practice most closely align with your goals (short and long term) and spend your time on those.

• Members

In my experience there's no easy answer to the question "what should I practice?"

Feel it out, you must learn what works for you. I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for. How have you been spending those 3 hours a day? My first instinct would be just to do all the same stuff but scale it all back timewise. The only real advice I'd offer is to make sure you always devote lots of time to learning songs

Archived