Practice questions

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Practice questions

Hello everyone

So it is near the end of my summer holidays, so back to school I go. I'm not going to be able to practice the 3 hours I have been during the summer. I'll probably be able to get in 1-2 hours each day. Because of that I'm not going to have time to do all I want to in each session.

So should I rotate what I'm doing daily, weekly, or just don't work on all the stuff at the same time? My long term goals are to compose good music, improvise well in blues, funk, jazz, and rock.

Thanks

PrinceGeorge

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

Depends what level you're at I suppose. Probabilities say your basics will be lacking (otherwise everybody would be heroically virtuosic) so don't neglect those ever.

Originally posted by Unconfigured Static HTML Widget...

Write Something, or Drag and Drop Images Here...

Comment

PrinceGeorge wrote:

Hello everyone

So it is near the end of my summer holidays, so back to school I go. I'm not going to be able to practice the 3 hours I have been during the summer. I'll probably be able to get in 1-2 hours each day. Because of that I'm not going to have time to do all I want to in each session.

So should I rotate what I'm doing daily, weekly, or just don't work on all the stuff at the same time? My long term goals are to compose good music, improvise well in blues, funk, jazz, and rock.

Thanks

PrinceGeorge

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum

IMHO I would focus on doing fewer things more often.  Take a look at what parts of our practice most closely align with your goals (short and long term) and spend your time on those.

Multiple award winning blues/rock/country at http://www.zeyerband.com or http://www.reverbnation.com/zeyer.Check my solo (instrumental rock) projects at: http://www.reverbnation.com/vincedickinson"Music is like the English language - it's just full of rules that need to be broken or you aren't hip.""It doesn't take talent to upgrade your playing. It takes patience" - Kenny Werner

Comment

• PrinceGeorge
        PrinceGeorge commented
        Editing a comment

Okay, thanks for the help.

• Garciajhon
        Garciajhon commented
        Editing a comment
        Nice Solo

In my experience there's no easy answer to the question "what should I practice?"

Feel it out, you must learn what works for you. I know that's probably not the answer you were looking for. How have you been spending those 3 hours a day? My first instinct would be just to do all the same stuff but scale it all back timewise. The only real advice I'd offer is to make sure you always devote lots of time to learning songs

tl;dr

Comment

• jeremy_green
        jeremy_green commented
        Editing a comment

make sure you always devote lots of time to learning songs

Amen.

Working...
    X