Need help/feedback

Yer Dad

• Members

Hello everyone,

I have never done this sort of thing before, but I need some feedback. I've recently been told there are problems with my playing. Some of it has to do with a couple of tracks I've sent someone as a sort of pre-audition. I've been a member of the LL for years now. Although my user name has changed due to the changes HC has made to the forums, server etc.

The most specific criticism is my timing, despite several years of intensive work, thanks to help supplied by the Johns/Jon (Finn, Phillips and R.) Jeremy and Jasco. Apparently there's much more to be done. So I'm posting a link to the two tracks and asking for your help and input, feedback and criticism. Please be honest, just don't be cruel.

I'm sticking my neck out and feel totally exposed and vulnerable. But if it helps me resolve my problems, then it was worth it. Thank you all, and please ignore the crappy band I'm playing with if you can.

http://soundcloud.com/dbcurtis-1/tracks

• Members

Yer Dad wrote:

Hello everyone,

I have never done this sort of thing before, but I need some feedback. I've recently been told there are problems with my playing. Some of it has to do with a couple of tracks I've sent someone as a sort of pre-audition. I've been a member of the LL for years now. Although my user name has changed due to the changes HC has made to the forums, server etc.

The most specific criticism is my timing, despite several years of intensive work, thanks to help supplied by the Johns/Jon (Finn, Phillips and R.) Jeremy and Jasco. Apparently there's much more to be done. So I'm posting a link to the two tracks and asking for your help and input, feedback and criticism. Please be honest, just don't be cruel.

I'm sticking my neck out and feel totally exposed and vulnerable. But if it helps me resolve my problems, then it was worth it. Thank you all, and please ignore the crappy band I'm playing with if you can.

Listened to both tracks. Sounded fine timing wise...and all otherwise. Nice playing.

Don't know what to tell ya. It's them I guess.

• Members

Gentlemen,

Thank you for taking the time to listen, and give me the feedback you did. I suspected, as Bydo observed, that there would be some things lurking. I worked very hard for about two years to get the more obvious, and egregious problems under control. Benzem, 1001 - the fact that you didn't come out of the gate with both barrels would seem to be a testament to my improvement in those areas.

Your input is greatly appreciated, I do wish however that Jeremy, the Jons, Jasco, Mo, half/whole and the rest of the old long term crew would weigh in.

• Members

Firstly Darell, nice to see you round these parts again! Didn't recognize you due to your screen name.

Secondly, your tone is great! Love the sound especially the Uni-vibe int eh Marshall Tucker tune. Nicely done on both.

To get to what you are asking, there is certainly no significant issue with your timing... It is MOSTLY real solid. I would say the first tune there is nothing other than a couple small moments... But it is a live perfromance so that happens. There is something going on in the second tune when you are doing the chickn pickn. It drops in and out of the pocket in spots - but overall there is some damn fine playing going on in there.

That style is so percussive that any subtle waver gets heard, so are they there - yes. Are they enough to lose you most gigs? I suspect not. Rhythm and pocket are really the brass ring for most players and the difference between the really good and the great. We most ALL need to focus on this - myself certainly included. Don't beat yourself up, keep working - because there is a monster of a player inside you. You playing has come a long way since last I heard you recorded (not that that was bad then either!) You just need to keep doing the work to get that monster out.

• Members

Mr. Burninator -

Nope that's not me singing.

Jeremy,

I did more or less drop out for a while. Having HC change servers and software two times effectively killed my old user name. Oh well, now I'm Yer Dad. Just don't ask for an allowance. Anyhow, thank you for your input as well. Your observations about chicken' picken' (could we find a less stupid name for this?) were great, as the problems with the style's staccato nature had never occured to me.

I appreciate the compliments and encouragment. And thank you EVERYONE for taking the time to listen to the two tracks and respond.

Archived