Books On Fripp's New Standard Tuning?

• Members

Hello everyone! Does anyone know if there are any guitar exercise books in existence for Robert Fripp's so-called New Standard Tuning (CGDAEG)?

I've been using the tuning for about a year now and I have grown to love it better than normal guitar tuning for many reasons. However it kind of sucks that I can't really find any sources for learning new licks and patterns on the tuning, aside from ones I create myself. Do you guys think that a mandolin or violin book might serve as valid substitutes if there are no guitar books available, considering that they are tuned the same way (GDAE)?

• Members

^Thx a lot for the help Zetor! Yes it looks like for the most part I'll have to look into non-guitar related material to increase my repertoire. I suppose this is helpful in the long run anyways; it'll help draw in influences into my playing from a variety of styles and instruments, especially from the classical genre so it seems.

• Members

^Yes, to some extent and it has done that. I initially made the switch to NST to escape all of the cliches of standard tuning and formulate my own voice. I now have much more freedom in NST. However without any sort of instruction, I feel that my advancement in the art of guitar has declined, at least in this tuning. I have stopped progressing somewhat. I just feel that completely on my own, it can be difficult to fully reap the advantages of NST without some exploitation to them.

• 4 years later...
  • Members

Sorry for bumping such an old thread, but there's not much on this. I was reading an article in Guitar Player about the California Trio, and mention was made that they use this tuning. When I looked at it - CGDAEG - I did a double-take.

CGDAE is the same tuning as 5 string mandolin! That's the good news. Bad news is there is even less info on 5 string mando's than there is on NST. But I've found Tenor Banjo - CGDA - provides some resources as does standard mandolin - GDAE. If you can find a copy, Tiny Moore's Mandolin Method is a great reference for arpeggio's and cool licks for the strings in 5ths.

The coolest part of tuning in 5th, is that the patterns are the same for scales and chords, you just have to be able to think "transpose" while moving from string set to string set. I love the voicings, especially for jazz.

Not sure what to do with that high G. Maybe I'll try tuning up a guitar and see what I get. Any of you folks have any insights into string guages for NST? Will "ordinary" strings work?

Heres a link that may be useful:

http://www.stationarywaves.com/2012/09/adventures-in-new-standard-tuning.html

Archived