How I work on technique

• Members

Hey all,

Just wanted to take a minute to talk about how one practices certain aspects of one's technique. I do stuff like this all the time but i thought I'd share this with you all as maybe some of you have never thought to do this.

I noticed some of my speed technique was getting sloppy. Rather than run endless drills with a metronome type thing, I will often write and record something. Using the principal "the tape doesn't lie" as my immediate feedback. When recording you can hear the minute wobbles in your playing instantly. Plus there is an added incentive to get the part right.

Anyway, there never seems to be enough playing shared on these forums, so I thought I would share last night's end result. Although almost devoid of musicality it is a fun shred.

https://myspace.com/jeremygreenspage/music/song/riven-ost-94467572-105167409?play=1

Cheers all!

• Members

Sounds great Jeremy! I will be jamming along when done typing.

Great idea for working on chops. I jam on BT's for lead chops, and while it works well I tend to get tired of the tracks easily so I don't do it enough.

That rocked, thanks for sharing. Glad you are still here, maybe some awol's will see this and post something.

• Members

benzem wrote:

Sounds great Jeremy! I will be jamming along when done typing.

Great idea for working on chops. I jam on BT's for lead chops, and while it works well I tend to get tired of the tracks easily so I don't do it enough.

That rocked, thanks for sharing. Glad you are still here, maybe some awol's will see this and post something.

Thanks bro! Appreciate the kind words.

Yeah, backing tracks get me bored pretty quickly... plus there is no incentive to really go anf "fix" anything. You can just keep spewing out more and more crud if you're not careful. Nothing is better than recording for hearing yourself as others hear you.

I would love to see some other former regs come back. I keep nosing around but there really isn't much to post on. Which is a drag.

• Members

jeremy_greenwrote:                                                                                                                                          almost devoid of musicality

yeah right

jeremy_green wrote:

it is a fun shred.

this

• Members

The Burninator wrote:

jeremy_greenwrote:                                                                                                                                          almost devoid of musicality

yeah right

jeremy_green wrote:

it is a fun shred.

this

Thanks brother! It was fun for sure. I don't get to do that sheer guitar wankery on gigs much.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

jeremy_green wrote:

Hey all,

Just wanted to take a minute to talk about how one practices certain aspects of one's technique. I do stuff like this all the time but i thought I'd share this with you all as maybe some of you have never thought to do this.

I noticed some of my speed technique was getting sloppy. Rather than run endless drills with a metronome type thing, I will often write and record something. Using the principal "the tape doesn't lie" as my immediate feedback. When recording you can hear the minute wobbles in your playing instantly. Plus there is an added incentive to get the part right.

Anyway, there never seems to be enough playing shared on these forums, so I thought I would share last night's end result. Although almost devoid of musicality it is a fun shred.

Cheers all!

I enjoyed your playing very much.  Not my genre but you have my utmost respect for your single line mastery of that song/jam.  Is that your own piece or is it a song you taught yourself?  How long did it take you to get it where it is now?

Keep at it, you're talented.  Stay the journey.

• Members

Hey Joe, thanks man! I appreciate the kind words. Yes I wrote, performed, recorded that piece in a single practice session. I do that sort of thing all the time - which was really the point of my thread. That particular piece was written not because I want to play that genre, but it was written intentionally as a piece that features fast picking lines. I noticed my picking getting messy, so I did that piece instead of running exercises etc. I believe that it is a better, more effective way of addressing technique practice.

I have been playing for 30 years, so it took a while : )

When you commit something to "tape" it forces you to nail it more than just random drills. The recording process creates the accountability to not maybe fluff over stuff.

Archived