Jesse Gress - the new Wolf Marshall

BydoEmpire

• Members

Like a lot of guys, I grew up with Wolf Marshall's columns in Guitar for the Practicing Musician.  I still read his monthly column in Vintage Guitar.  It's always stuck with me that he was such a well-rounded player - it was kind of amazing to me as a kid that he could break down so many different players' styles.  He wasn't in a big-name band, but the guy could surely play.

Anyways, I still get Guitar Player magazine, and every month Jesse Gress has 2-3 columns - usually a multi-page spread breaking down either one player, or a whole album.  He puts this out month after month, year-in and year-out.

While it's not the same world today as it was in the 80s, I still think it's cool that he's been able to put out so much useful material (his series on ear training was great).  IMHO he's taken the Wolf Marshall torch of teaching.  His volume of output and breadth of material is pretty amazing.

No real point to this, other than cheers to all the teachers out there, specifically Jesse Gress!

• Members

I would have never thought of those two together. Wolf Marshall never struck me as having the depth of knowledge that Gress seems to. BUT I COULD BE WRONG ABOUT THAT. I'm going on memory. My recall of WM is from the 1980's, and we know how reliable memory is.

I like that Jesse Gress does all his own notation/transcribing, but he strikes me as a bit pedantic at times. I like what he does, in general, but his Hendrix rhythm studies in Guitar Player have gotten to be a bit much. It seems like studies in minutiae.

They're both great, despite my criticisms, and we've been lucky to have guys like that available to us. Just look at the dreck you can find on Youtube for proof of that.

My favorite columnist/educator was always Howard Roberts. I miss that guy.

• Members

Yer Dad wrote:

his Hendrix rhythm studies in Guitar Player have gotten to be a bit much. It seems like studies in minutiae.

Yeah, that one has been going on a bit too long... I kind of stopped reading after the first one or two.  I think my favorite of his was series that just listed a bunch of famous melodies for every interval ascending and descending.  Really simple stuff, but super useful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

x-ray specs wrote:

What about the Guitar Cookbook? Good? Or just mediocre?

It is good, but very similar to the mentionned Hendrix article. Small elements, ingredients you should put together, just like meat, vegatables and spices from a real cookbook.

He is a superb guitarist who plays with Tony Levin. Strongly suggested albums.

Archived