The 3 most important things...

• Members

The question is ambiguous. Does it mean:

the 3 most important things in learning how to play good music on the guitar?

the 3 most important things you need in order to play good music on the guitar?

the 3 most important things when you are playing good music on the guitar?

(and there could be other interpretations...)

However, 1001gear's answer(s) is good for all of them!

Of course, you need good command of the instrument, that goes without saying. (Not virtuoso skills necessarily, because good music can be quite simple. But you need skills in excess of what the piece requires.)

Beyond that: "Make sure you know good music".  "Know" means "be totally familiar with", not just "have heard some" ;).

And as for what "good" means... I partly agree with 1001gear: there are accepted standards (in all genres); but what's acceptable in one may not be in another.

Even so, I adhere to the old dictum: there's only two kinds of music: good and bad.

• Members

If you mean playing the instrument well, there is no better and more common model than classical piano. Formal studies are graduated from beginner to impossible with resources drawn from centuries of the best work available. The part I find most applicable to other disciplines is EVERY step of the way is taken to a professional level. It's this attention to detail that facilitates performing of the most stringent songbook there is. This is how you get 10 year old girls playing at adult levels; i.e. professional levels is in fact where the music is.

So your flight list; In addition to the first three being "Know Good Music" the next first three should be "Master The Basics".

• Members

Yep, after reading the question sober, its a little ambiguous. I guess I meant the first one you listed JonR. Good post Jeremy. Virgman, I got that part covered. Lol. Damn guitar wants to play good music, but its waiting on me and my fingers. 1001, you gave me 2 great ones. Still waiting on the third three. I'm just trying to stir up some conversation around here. I'm not a very good troll.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • Members

Update:

After numerous protests and death threats from the Sex Drugs and Rock & Roll community. we have come to the agreement that the list be amended to include sex and drugs and shall read as follows:

1) Make sure you know good music.

2) Sex

3) Drugs

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

1. appropriatness - know when and what to play

2. play with feeling

3. play music - not math

<P>ill give it a try.</P><P> </P><P>1. <SPAN>appropriatness - </SPAN>know when and what to play</P><P>2. play with feeling</P><P>3. play music - not math</P>

The above ones are good. I would add:

1. Be born with a good ear

2. Be born with good dexterity and a musical brain

3. Be motivated and listen to your bandmates' playing

Ok that's more than three actually.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Archived