Clapton and the blues

Virgman

• Members

I've never been a Clapton fanboy but I'm transcribing the two solos from "Have You Ever Loved A Woman" on the Derek and the Dominoes album and they are tasty.

The dude has some very tasty licks and tricks.

I descibe them as tasteful blues licks.

• Members

Yeah that was always my problem with Eric. Too tasteful by half...

Even back in the 60s, I thought  his playing was so smooth and polished it went in one ear and slipped right out the other.

I don't want my blues tasteful. I want it edgy. I don't want the grit polished off.

:)

I don't dislike him, mind.  I admire him now more than I used to.  But (while I'm sure you're right about those tasteful licks) I've not heard anything from him - so far - that I've not heard from the musicians that influenced him.  If I'm going to learn blues licks, I'll go back to the people he learned from.

• Members

I had a similar experience. Never been much of a fan, respect for sure, but fan not so much. But when I learned some of his solos it gave me a whole new appreciation. His touch is fantastic, his vibrato all those elements beyond the notes. In the true blues experience - he can make one or two notes sounds great... Many cant.

• Members

I guess that makes three... I liked Clapton (especially is Bluesbreaker stuff), I respected his historic impact, but didn't love it the way I did Muddy, BB, Buddy, Albert, Freddie, etc.  The last couple of years, though I've gotten a lot more into his stuff and it's definitely grown on me. Kind of laid back, smooth blues, but it works.  Maybe I'm just getting old... :)  He has a good sense of building up a solo and taking it somewhere, not showing all his cards in the first four bars (which he's said he got from Freddie King)

The first note of his solo on "Old Love" from 24 Nights is one of the most perfect notes in all of blues & rock (4:53 mark on this video).

He's definitely a guy whose playing grew on me over the years.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Been a guy much more interested in rhythm than lead I've never been a fan neither, but he's cool, especially in Blind Faith.

And my girlfriend loves Wonderful Tonight, so he has that going, which is nice.

I also like his songwriting more than his lead. Layla has got to be one of the best heartbroken songs ever.

Archived