Is anybody still here?

• Members

I joined HCFX in 2007, so for me 2008 was sort of the "heyday" of the forum. Hard to believe the stock market crash was 10 years ago. It's really sobering to think that everyone is now 10 years older. Even the 16 year olds chiming in back then are now probably working full time jobs, getting married, having kids, and not really buying a lot of pedals. I was already an old man then, so things haven't changed much for me. I'm still buying pedals :-)

In 2018 so far I've picked up a BOSS SL-20 Slicer and an EHX Key9.

• Like 4

• Members

No NPD threads? No pics? No reviews?

I'd love to hear what you think of both pedals. :)

The Key9 is on its way. I haven't tried it yet, but really looking forward to it.

I've mostly been using the BOSS SL-20 after the EHX Synth9. It's a mesmerizing combination. I haven't tried placing it in front of the Synth9 yet, but plan to soon. I'm curious how the Synth9 will respond to the attack of the Slicer - if it's more stable at slower rates and glitchy at faster rates, for example. The Mel9 also sounds great after the Slicer. When I get some time, I will experiment with combining the Slicer with a Digitech Space Station, a Digitech Synth Wah, and a Pigtronix Mothership. I anticipate some great things with all of those combos.

SL-20 Pros:

- wide variety of stereo options

- MIDI clock sync

- 50 fun preset patterns for instant gratification grooves

- Patterns offer a nice variety of rhythms (techno, swing, triplets, etc.)

- harmonic slicer with embedded filtering and pitch shifting on some patterns

- variable control over attack and wavelength (duty)

- nice light display around the encoder for keeping time

- on-board looper

SL-20 Cons:

- no way to multiply or divide the clock sync on-board (would have been handy to not have to adjust the master clock)

- no way to create your own rhythms beyond the 50 presets and harmonic slicer (odd, given the inclusion of a tap tempo switch that could have served a dual purpose)

- on some patterns the wavelength is not long enough, over-emphasis on staccato patterns

Overall, a really enjoyable and useful pedal for guys like me who love electronic music, and would rather play a guitar synth than a keyboard synth. I'm sure it can be used for more subtle duties as well, especially with the right blend of dry and effect signals.

Compared to the EHX Super Pulsar, for example? I love that the Super Pulsar allows us to create our own rhythms and is generally more flexible with wave shaping; but the interface is not intuitive and usually forces me to pull out the manual every time. The Slicer UI is less flexible, but it is very intuitive without needing the manual.

• Like 1

I'd be interested in hearing how it works out when you put the SL-20 in front of one of the EHX "keyboard" pedals - in my experience, they like a nice, even attack, and they don't do as well with dynamic playing - which is why I suggest people try a compressor in front of them if they're having issues with tracking / triggering.

Great write up on the SL-20 - thanks for posting that! :cool2:

• Like 1

:wave:

just dropped in for the first time in about 5 years. Looking for some compressor advice

Good to see you! :wave:

What are you looking for in a compressor pedal?

I'm currently working on a review of the new Ampeg Opto-Comp which is a good, affordable opto compressor, but that won't run for a few weeks... but I did relatively recently review the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Micro compressor, which is one of the best little compressor pedals I've ever tried.

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • Members

I created this username because I had forgotten my old one.. Been a member since 1999.. First time in years since I've showed up.. Punk-something was my old username, still can't remember.... Was posting more back in the 2007-2009 era.. Just figured I'd stop by the forums again to see how things changed.. See what's new in the gear world, etc.. This was one of the first musical websites I came across when I started playing bass back in '98..

My usage of effects has also gone down to basically nothing.. On guitar, i typically use the amp's over drive or some form of dirt pedal.. Bass.. A bit of compression and a bit of dirt when needed.. My idea of tone is much more refined than it was 20+ years ago.. For both guitar and bass..

Actually, I mostly came back for the classifieds.. I need a footswitch for a Peavey Special 212 (Silver Stripe).. Good luck, I know! ;)

Edited by at0mb0mb

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

macadood reporting in! I miss all you doods and the old days. I moved on to collecting Japanese watches, musically changed to mostly synths and sold off a bunch of pedals, then sold off a bunch of synths. Haven't bought a pedal in years and it is freeing. Still have my booteek board, a vintagey Boss board, and a small vintage MXR board though!

Hi Phil!

• Like 1

macadood reporting in! I miss all you doods and the old days. I moved on to collecting Japanese watches, musically changed to mostly synths and sold off a bunch of pedals, then sold off a bunch of synths. Haven't bought a pedal in years and it is freeing. Still have my booteek board, a vintagey Boss board, and a small vintage MXR board though!

Hi Phil!

Good to see you! :wave:

PS Pedals + synths = much awesomeness. :idea::)

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...