Finished up some guitar mods today.

• Members

Jazzmaster is a Squier Vintage Modified, refinished in nitro Ocean Blue metallic, GFS Jazzmaster Pickups, took out the rhythm circuit, mustang bridge, blacked out the guard/knobs/covers/toggle switch. Heres an iPhone clip of my amp.

https://soundcloud.com/travisbrowning-1/test

Mustang is a Squier Bullet, added a GFS bridge, blue Mustang pickguard from Amazon, black pickup covers, 1 gold foil pickup in the neck straight to the volume pot and output jack. Heres a clip into a digital blackface fender amp.

https://soundcloud.com/travisbrowning-1/mustangtest

I like the look of the stripped-down Jazzmaster a lot - nice job Travis! :cool2:

I can see the argument for pulling the rhythm circuit in a JM or Jag... they are pretty bassy and not a lot of people use them. As far as the Mustang, I don't use the bridge pickup by itself a lot, and I do like the sound of the neck position, but I like the neck + bridge combinations too much (both in and out of phase) to be willing to give up the switches on my Duo Sonic or Mustang.

But if that's what you prefer, a Musicmaster's just (another) pickguard swap away... :idea:;)

• Members

The Mustang gave me a bit of GAS actually. That's a really sharp color on that guitar. Back in the late 60's a fella I played with for a bit had a Duo-Sonic that I kept calling a Mustang...Irritated the dickens out of him. I was playing bass for him at the time and had a Musicmaster for my 6 string. I wish I still had it and the Silvertone Bass.

• Members
I like the look of the stripped-down Jazzmaster a lot - nice job Travis! :cool2:

I can see the argument for pulling the rhythm circuit in a JM or Jag... they are pretty bassy and not a lot of people use them. As far as the Mustang, I don't use the bridge pickup by itself a lot, and I do like the sound of the neck position, but I like the neck + bridge combinations too much (both in and out of phase) to be willing to give up the switches on my Duo Sonic or Mustang.

But if that's what you prefer, a Musicmaster's just (another) pickguard swap away... :idea:;)

Yeah I'm not a big rhythm circuit guy. The Bullet Mustang only comes with a 3 way toggle, if it had come with a classic Mustang switching system I probably would've kept it in, set both pickups to always on and then use the switch to toggle series/parallel.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Hey Travis, I just stopped by for a second.

...like, for the first time in about 2 years.

Your results look really nice and I love the sound of the second clip... it has that edge.

I can definitely see the benefits of the first guitar as well... so nice for clean passages.

When did you pick up the rattle can? Looks pretty good.

I half-expected to see an old Teisco silver-topped pickup shoehorned in there somewhere. ;)

Archived