Compact Five-Pedal Board

• Members

Basically a tuner > DOD 280 set for always on, nothing too squishy > OD-3 for my light/neutral overdrive > Boss DS-1 that I clipped the diodes on so now it sounds closer to a Fuzz, almost like a Red Llama meets an HM-2 > and the RV-6, 99% of the time its set to modulate with stereo outs.

6psk34cs64q01.jpg

I like it... but no delay? Son, I am disappoint! ;)

I saw where someone was asking on Quora the other day what five pedals are essential for guitar, and IMO I'd say a tuner, OD (or boost), distortion (or fuzz), a modulation pedal of some sort*, and a delay (or reverb**).

*As far as modulation, it would really depend on what you prefer... a tremolo is nice, but some amps already have them built-in, so maybe a chorus, flanger or phaser would be a better choice for some people.

** Since a lot of amps have reverb built-in, IMO a delay is generally a better / more useful / more essential choice for most players than a reverb pedal is.

Of course that leaves lots of other types of pedals off the list. Wahs are incredibly useful - not just for Shaft covers, but for cocked and locked tones. Things like synth pedals and other filters are very useful for some styles, and so are loopers. If you play lap steel or slide, a volume pedal can come in handy, and if you do RATM covers, you're going to need a Whammy pedal, etc. etc.

So - the question I have for everyone (not to sidetrack your thread Travis...) is:

What five pedals would you pick if you were making a compact board and were limited to ONLY five pedals?

• Members
I like it... but no delay? Son, I am disappoint! ;)

I saw where someone was asking on Quora the other day what five pedals are essential for guitar, and IMO I'd say a tuner, OD (or boost), distortion (or fuzz), a modulation pedal of some sort*, and a delay (or reverb**).

*As far as modulation, it would really depend on what you prefer... a tremolo is nice, but some amps already have them built-in, so maybe a chorus, flanger or phaser would be a better choice for some people.

** Since a lot of amps have reverb built-in, IMO a delay is generally a better / more useful / more essential choice for most players than a reverb pedal is.

Of course that leaves lots of other types of pedals off the list. Wahs are incredibly useful - not just for Shaft covers, but for cocked and locked tones. Things like synth pedals and other filters are very useful for some styles, and so are loopers. If you play lap steel or slide, a volume pedal can come in handy, and if you do RATM covers, you're going to need a Whammy pedal, etc. etc.

So - the question I have for everyone (not to sidetrack your thread Travis...) is:

What five pedals would you pick if you were making a compact board and were limited to ONLY five pedals?

I know right?! I'm a heathen! Actually, I just found myself never using delay in the band. I love delay, I just don't use it as a rhythm player. Oh and the DS-1 has the diodes clipped so its much more into the fuzz territory than the classic DS-1 sound.

No worries about side tracking the thread! I literally made it as a goof on the "Compact Ten-Pedal Board" thread :lol: If I were going for a versatile, all around great compact board it would probably be Tuner - OD - Fuzz - Modulation - Delay. More specifically a Pitchblack - Timmy - Some sort of versatile fuzz, Swollen Pickle maybe - for mod maybe something like a Zoom CDR for a ton of options or a Catalinbread Pareidolia Harmonic Memerizer for a little bit of everything - Delay, a Waza DM-2 because I'm a simpleton and don't understand the crazier delays.

Archived