Compressor question.

1001gear

• Members
Lab amps used to have them built in and of course the digital modelers, tube amps compress naturally when over driven so unless you're playing country or something you can get by without one I guess.:idk:

I was listening to demos of good (flexible) pedal compressors and it just seemed they have such a dramatic impact on what comes out the speaker they could easily be part of the preamp.

Why aren't they a standard part of guitar amp circuitry ?

In a way, they are. Just crank the amp into distortion / clipping, and you won't need a compressor. ;)

As was already mentioned, some amps do have compressors built-in - my Lab Series L5 guitar amp had one. But compressors are much more commonly found on bass amps than in guitar amps.

• Members

I was listening to demos of good (flexible) pedal compressors and it just seemed they have such a dramatic impact on what comes out the speaker they could easily be part of the preamp.

A really good comp pedal can give players who play super clean the same dynamic control that dirty players enjoy.

• Members

A really good comp pedal can give players who play super clean the same dynamic control that dirty players enjoy.

Yes and it's not so much the limiting and sustain, It's the concentration of sweetness that for the few bucks in parts should be a function of the preamp.

• Members

Allot of bass amps have them because the amps are designed to run clean and the comp/limiter will help them maintain dynamic levels, especially playing along with guitarists who typically have driven guitars all the time and all details are heard.

On a guitar a compressor can free the player to play with a lighter touch and still be heard clearly. You do have to be careful because unwanted noise and mistakes stand out clearly. A compressor can also do things like make a player dependent on a light touch and weaken their right hands ability to control dynamics just like using drive all the time can.

Archived