Effects Pedals Scene

Echotraveler

• Members

Tell me your opinion on the effects scene today?

Ive been a bit disconected, and noticed some big change overall with the prices. Noticed many pedals like my old memory man, go for A LOT of money. But do people really buy overpriced pedals? Cause i for one look at many prices, knowing the pedals, and they seem speculative.

Saw a analogman nkt sunface for sale at $900, wth!!!!are people crazy?? No diss to Analogman, i respect his work and know his one of the good ones. Another example would be zvex fuzz factory some asking $350 for used one! Man i sold mine for $130 and jusr bought one for $130...

noticed it also on Ebay, with general gear, like guitars readily available on amazon and big stores, posted for more than they are sold in stores. Its like all the bargains have gone dry on ebay. The main reason i came back here is to have a safer trading place were GAS ridden folks can discuss, sell, trade on a more fair ground...does that even exist anymore?

• Members

It seems to me we sort of live in a 'Golden Age' of guitar pedals. There are so, so many 'boutique' (and striving) pedal builders of all sizes, and all kinds of pedals available. One thing to remember about eBay is that people often price their item above market value. Always check "completed auctions" that resulted in actual sales. Don't go by the "Buy it Now" price.

Reverb DOT com is a musicians' buying/selling/trading website, I have no personal experience with it, but it seems a lot of music gear selling/buying has migrated to Reverb. Hopefully someone else reading this has used Reverb and will chime in. I've used Craigslist locally pretty successfully to both buy and sell. There's a local facebook group dedicated to buying/selling/trading effects pedals but since it was local only it didn't seem to get much traffic.

• Members

On eBay, most of the truly inflated prices have been from overseas, Japan in particular. By and large, most of the USA ads are semi reasonable and in a price grouping. I have had around 150 transactions there, and about well over half were music gear. That said, I have migrated most of my dealings to Reverb. I feel the prices are better, and it is entirely music related, not autos and sporting goods. Reverb team is also responsive. I had a deal go south because of item received's condition. Reverb did not get anything from me, but they sent me an email asking if I needed them to intercede, and I said no since the seller willingly took the item back for full refund. I deal there almost exclusively now.

While EHX doesn't make the old-style big case Memory Man anymore (which tends to cause the used prices to go up), they're far from a rare pedal - they made a zillion of them over the years, so they're not all that uncommon. Sometimes people ask more than what something is actually really worth. As Mr.Grumpy said, check the completed auction prices to get a better idea of what the real price they usually go for is.

I've used Reverb, but only as a buyer, so I can't say how their fees or anything compare to Ebay... but all of my experiences on Reverb so far have been positive.

• Members

Yeah, saw the reverb website, when doing google search for equipment, it pops up real fast. Seems legit.

I guess the price game, is more about being vigilant and striking fast. As always

Down here (Puerto Rico) we have a couple FBactive classifieds which are cool.

About EHX, i conccur, this were mass produced pedals, makes no sense to have it be expensive.

• Members

vI had a Memory Man and a Flanger back in the 70's. Back then they were one of the only games in town for pedals. Today you have so many great pedals to choose from it can be a tough choice deciding between a half dozen of more in the same price ranges.

If you're been out of the game along time the sticker prices on many pedals can be shocking on both low end and high. Back in the day you bought a cheap pedal it was likely priced low because it didn't do much or didn't sound very good.

That's not the case today. You have allot of clones coming out the Asian pacific using parts and builds of the same quality as many boutique pedals priced extremely high in comparison but when you add up the cost of parts they are virtually the same.

Of course with all the crazy names they give them its often tough to know if you are buying the same thing with possibly very minor tone tweaks or something totally different. Doesn't take much to change a circuit. Sometimes its only a five cent cap or resistor that makes one pedals different then another. There aren't a whole lot of new designs in analog either. Manufacturers keep using the same designs over and over using minor tweaks yet you get people raving about how great they are or how much they cost. As a technician I often find it hard to get very excited about 3 transistors in a drive pedals that cost $1 each but I suppose it all comes down to how useful they are making music.

One thing I would recommend to someone just getting back into buying pedals is you may want to try out some generics for pedals that are either less important or when you simply cant justify spending big bucks on something you never heard before. I've kept up with the technology over the years and I still do this for many pedals and its been highly beneficial for me. I've been able to try out the circuits and see if its something I'd want to use in a pedal chain. If it is them I can sell it and buy the real things. If it isn't I can either keep knowing I didn't spend allot on it or sell it and move on.

Some are so closely made to the originals you simply cant tell the difference in a blind listening comparison. I have no problem populating a pedal board with some generics so long as they do the job. I have no Guilt associated with buying generics either. I know ALL pedal makers copy each others designs to one degree or another so its not like they are ripping anyone off either.

Here's one list of cloned pedals someone made. Its not completely accurate but gives you some idea of the pedal types. The red ones were confirmed to be exact clones. The others are best guesses by the people who made the lists.

These pedals are not sloppy builds with low quality parts either. They are very well made and so long as it didn't have any flaws being made are likely to last as long as many high dollar versions.

THE ULTIMATE JOYO GUITAR PEDAL CLONE LIST [TABLE=class: tve_table tve_table_plain tve_white tve_no_border tve_brdr_solid, width: 2]

[TR=class: tve_table_row]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-01

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Vintage Overdrive

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Ibanez TS-808

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-02

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Ultimate Overdrive

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Fulltone OCD

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-03

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Crunch Distortion

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] MI Audio Crunch Box

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-04

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] High Gain Distortion

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Marshall Shredmaster

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-05

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Classic Chorus

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Ibanez CS-9

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-06

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Vintage Phase

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] MXR Phase 90

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-07

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Classic Flanger

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Ibanez FL-9 Flanger

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-08

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Digital Delay

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] -

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-09

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Tremolo

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Diaz Tremodillo

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-10

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Dynamic Compressor

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] MXR Dyna Comp

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-11

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] 6 Band EQ

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] MXR 6 Band EQ

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-12

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Voodoo Octave

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Fulltone Ultimate Octave

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-13

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] AC Tone

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Tech 21 SansAmp Character Liverpool

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-14

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] American Sound

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Tech 21 SansAmp Character Blonde

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-15

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] California Sound

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Tech 21 SansAmp Character California

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-16

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] British Sound

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Tech 21 SansAmp Character British

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-17

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Extreme Metal

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] EHX Metal Muff

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JDI-01

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] DI Box

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] H&K Red Box Classic

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

[TABLE=class: tve_table tve_table_plain tve_white tve_no_border tve_brdr_solid, width: 2]

[/TR]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-30

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] A/B Switch

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Fender Micro ABY

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-31

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Noise Gate

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] -

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-32

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Hot Plexi

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Carl Martin Plexitone

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-33

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Analog Delay

[/TD]

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-34

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] US Dream

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Suhr Riot

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-35

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Pocket Metal

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] EH Pocket Metal Muff

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-36

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Sweet Baby

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Mad Professor Sweet Honey

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-37

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Analog Chorus

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] BOSS CE-2

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-38

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Roll Boost

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Mi-Audio Boost 'N' Buff

[/TD]

[/TR]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] JF-39

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] Deluxe Crunch

[/TD]

[TD=class: tve_table_cell tve_empty_dropzone tve_valign_bottom tve_align_left] "is unique"

[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

​*100% confirmed by a JOYO representative.

• Members

I guess the price game, is more about being vigilant and striking fast.

This has been my experience. I've been using eBay to buy pedals since 2007, and started using Reverb a couple of years ago. In both cases, being on top of new listings is the key. The best deals go fast. There are still good deals to be had. I run into them regularly, but only because I hit BIN as soon as the listing appears.

As far as inflated prices, I saw as many inflated prices in 2007 as I see now. It comes and goes in waves.

Archived