The age old battle for room...

Axisplayer

• Members

My Klon came in today, and no, not the $2500 vintage Centaur but the newer KTR. Not exactly the identical sound, but cut very closely from the same fabric. I love it, will keep it, and have no regrets except.....

I had no idea where the pedalboard space would come from. I use a VooDoo Lab Medium Dingbat board. I know there are larger boards, but they get heavy rapidly, steal more floor space on a smallish stage than I feel entitled to claim for myself, and at some point become ridiculous if you aren't a touring pro. That said, I like that my board has always forced me to make decisions about the value of things. It keeps things in perspective. But now there was a crossroads. I spent all afternoon trying to figure out what I could live without to get more space, and there wasn't anything. So I did the unthinkable. I cut off the low edge near my feet where it does a bend to to the floor to mount the rubber feet. I straightened out what was the rear face at my foot, and drilled four holes to mount the programmable looper under the lip. It works as it puts the looper buttons at floor level instead of on top of the board. VooDoo lab offers this as their super duper expensive board, but I already broke the bank so making it work was the only choice. Doing that has increased available space just enough to allow me to add the Klon and lose nothing except space between pedals. George Ls will almost be touching adjoining pedals. I haven't finished it so no pictures but here are a couple of mockups to explain what I did.

It is much more tedious and time consuming than I expected. I started thinking "done in four hours." Six hours into it tonight, and expect to not finish until tomorrow evening. Cutting, filing, drilling, countersinks, sanding, touchup paint, and mounting. (Helps that in a prior life I was a machinist so I have the tools and background.)

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tPedalboardTop.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t179.4 KB ID:\t32149278","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32149278","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

The looper used to sit on the top of the board at the lowest part near my foot. That took up 2.5 inches across the full 22" width of the board.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tSideview.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t39.1 KB ID:\t32149279","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32149279","data-size":"full"}[/ATTACH]

Now it is starting to look like this sideview shows. The only things you don't see are the VooDoo Lab Mondo power supply underneath, and the soon to be mounted MIDI channel switcher for my amp that will mount under the board. Hope it turns out as well as I think it is going to. Will post pix when done. Thought it may give others an idea. Front face of the pedal has some cutouts for access so I will mount the switcher underneath and pushed to the front face so one multipair cable from stage can connect to the switcher. The looper has an inset point between pedals 5 and 6 so I use that to break the board into two boards. One feeds the front of the amp, and the other feeds the FX loop. Then three 1/4" guitar cables to stage (one for amp input, one for amp FX loop send, and one for amp FX loop return.) Ziptie the switcher cable and those three together for now, but will eventually spend the time to make a multipair pedalboard snake so it will be a single cable with one connection into the back of the amp. Man, tired just from describing it, much less finishing it. Pix coming though.

• Members

Lousy pic but here it is. Will get a better one in daylight tomorrow. Had to leave HOF off so I would have it for my grab and go, but an H9 covers that well enough for now.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32149959}[/ATTACH]

• Members
Lousy pic but here it is. Will get a better one in daylight tomorrow. Had to leave HOF off so I would have it for my grab and go, but an H9 covers that well enough for now.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","data-attachmentid":32149959}[/ATTACH]

Can't you mount the Voodoo Pedal Power thing under the board. That's where I have mine. My board is a Pedaltrain.I bought it with the ATA case. Talk about heavy.

My whole set up is kind of old school. Lava EC patch cables.

[ATTACH=JSON]{"data-align":"none","data-size":"full","title":"image_110179.jpg","data-attachmentid":32149996}[/ATTACH]

• Members

Can't you mount the Voodoo Pedal Power thing under the board. That's where I have mine

My VooDoo Lab Mondo supply IS under the board. The VooDoo unit you are seeing is the MIDI control switcher that lets me program amp channel changes in my presets so that switching channels is automated.

Nothing wrong with old school. I like your board. It has nice boxes on it, and they are easy to access.

• Members

My VooDoo Lab Mondo supply IS under the board. The VooDoo unit you are seeing is the MIDI control switcher that lets me program amp channel changes in my presets so that switching channels is automated.

Nothing wrong with old school. I like your board. It has nice boxes on it, and they are easy to access.

Ah ha, now I see what's going on.

Could you not put that under the hood too? It sure would free up some real estate.

IDK

• Members

That was the original plan but the board is metal so attachments are not was easy as wooden boards. I am looking for an appropriate bracket and then will move it. Also thought about dumping the Midi Mouse for now. The looper will control 36 presets with the MM so might be able to do what I need without the other 92 presets for now. If the MM and the MIDI box were removed from the board, I would have a lot more space to work with.

Archived