What Your Favorite Wah Pedal?

Adam O'Blivion

• Members

I'm in the market for a new wah pedal. I've mainly owned Crybaby GCB-95s. One was an early '80s model, the one I have now mid '90s.

My other wah was a Boomerang BG-2 which sounded F^CKIN RAD AS {censored}! It's pot broke tho, and this was before the replacement pot was being made by.. aw damn, why can't I remember dude's name. Anyways, Boomers use a bizarre pot with values and a shaft length that isn't made by any electronics company. Atleast when I owned mine it wasn't.

I'm sick of the GCB-95 and want something different. I'd love to add a Tycobrahe Parapedal to the arsenal, but I don't have a grand to throw at a pedal. Same with the BG-1 Boomerang. I've heard that Colorsound make a good wah. How do their reissues compare to the original '70s ones? I'm guessing that I already know the answer to that question, but screw it.. I'll ask it anyways.

Any other wahs that come to mind which I failed to mention? Whether they are old/vintage or a new company that's making the right moves. If I was to go with another Dunlop, it either be a 535, 535Q or BB535. I have no idea what the difference between the three are, but I've never seen anything negative written about any of 'em.

• Moderators

I can't speak to the re-issues, but my old 70s Colorsound was a great wah. I also really liked my Morley Power Wah Fuzz, but it was huuuuge.

A good friend of mine swears by his Vox wah, but to be honest, I'm now using a standard Dunlop Crybaby...and contemplating the 'mini' version.

Other Wah pedals? Tons!!!

Xotic, E-H Wailer, BBE, RMC 'Joe Walsh', Modtone, Boss PW3, ZVEX Probe [kind of a wah], MXR dual inductor, Wilson Effects....and Ibanez.

• Members

I have a Dunlop but the pots don't last very long in them, plus the volume hit you took on the old ones really sucked badly. You want the wah to boost in volume when you turn it on not dip down 4~5dB's You can mod the old ones to fix that problem and I think most new ones have the fix but I was never that thrilled with the tone myself. Even if you change the range jumping the gear threads the pedal is pretty dark sounding.

Tone wise I much prefer the Vox. Those pedals can produce much better talk tones and the midrange is much better. There again, Vox had been at it with their MRB built into amps long before they were put in pedals.

Currently I use a Morley. Its wah tone is mild but it's volume level can be set so when you turn it on the wah actually boosts for playing leads.

Its also a volume pedal too which is definitely better then just a straight wah. The best part is its all optical. No pots just a flag attached to the pedal which cuts the light beams and changes the volume. There's nothing there to wear out. Its wah tone targets my Marshall very well too. Its got more of a high mid voicing and works best with high gain tones.

To be truthful I don't use it much any more besides the occasional studio recording running a full amp setup. Even there I have it on an effects loop so it can be completely bypassed. Like many pedals you use them for awhile then move on. I don't even haul one to gigs any more. If you don't use it for more then one song then there isn't allot of sense hauling it around.

• Members

I currently have a ONERR FatBoy 2. I am by no means a wah connoisseur. There is a low/med/high switch which sets the frequencies which is cool. But the reason I bought this one (is because I was a broke teenager at the time), "the reason I like this one" is because I don't have to click it on or off at the toe. It auto turns on the moment you step forward on the pedal, and auto turns off after you let off of it. It springs to the back position when you take your foot off the pedal, unfortunately it also takes half a second to turn off.

looks like someone wrote up on it already.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/review...t-boy-2/430072

Archived