Sticking to one brand of pedals, basically

mbengs1

• Members

Over the past 4 years, I bought a lot of boss pedals. my modulation effects, delays, distortions, noise suppressor are mostly from Boss. I see that they all have the boss chassis... I feel like I have to get into another brand like MXR or EHX to make my pedalboard look more interesting instead of having all pedals with the same housing. To me, it didn't matter. as long as you got quality with each pedal, who cares if it doesn't look cool. but I think I will have to buy different brand pedals of the same effects just to make my pedalboard look good. It looks pretty plain and its a pain. :)

One of the most legendary innovators in music history, the inventor of multitrack recording, one of the developers of the solidbody electric guitar, and one of the world's finest guitarists (all the same amazing guy) used nothing but Boss pedals on his last pedalboard...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tP1010100.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t211.3 KB ID:\t32118350","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32118350","data-size":"full","title":"P1010100.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Les Paul's Pedalboard

If Les wasn't worried about making his board look "interesting" and was okay with using pedals from only one company, I think it's safe to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so yourself, as long as you like the sounds they give you. :idea::wave:

• Members
One of the most legendary innovators in music history, the inventor of multitrack recording, one of the developers of the solidbody electric guitar, and one of the world's finest guitarists (all the same amazing guy) used nothing but Boss pedals on his last pedalboard...

[ATTACH=JSON]{"alt":"Click image for larger version Name:\tP1010100.jpg Views:\t1 Size:\t211.3 KB ID:\t32118350","data-align":"none","data-attachmentid":"32118350","data-size":"full","title":"P1010100.jpg"}[/ATTACH]

Les Paul's Pedalboard

If Les wasn't worried about making his board look "interesting" and was okay with using pedals from only one company, I think it's safe to say that there's absolutely nothing wrong with doing so yourself, as long as you like the sounds they give you. :idea::wave:

Wow I never knew that!

Also, FWIW, I think all Boss boards look sexy as hell! But I do kind of hate those Boss branded pedal cases for completely aesthetic reasons, functionality wise they're great.

• Members
Why so hung up on appearances when the sound is the ultimate point?

nothin I just found the bcb60 so amazing lol. since I have mostly boss effects, bcb60 will fit my rig. I like the bcb30 also. but sooner or later I will get a mooer pitch box for my harmonies

• Members

For some guitarists, an inspiring and engaging looking pedalboard actually matters, not just the sound or the functionality or the convenience or the reliability.

I've been playing guitar for more than 35 years. I feel I'm a better singer and songwriter than I am a guitarist, but I believe I can hold my own with a guitar. My interest in guitar has more in common with artists like Kevin Shields and Robin Guthrie than Eric Clapton or Eddie Van Halen, just as a point of reference. I view my guitar as an interface to a larger realm of sonic possibilities. I've been a pedal enthusiast for a long time, but I recently dove into the world of Eurorack synthesizers. What I love about the culture surrounding Eurorack is the enthusiasm around innovating or customizing UI. It is common to hear a 'wiggler' talk about which arrangement of modules is most inspiring to interact with.

I tend to dismiss anyone who would tell me to stop fiddling with my pedals and just play my guitar already. I love pedals as much as guitars (if not more), and I view them as an instrument unto themselves. And aesthetics are an important part of UI from my perspective.

So, mbengs1, only you know if you are the kind of musician who wants to interact with a visually appealing pedalboard, or have a set-and-forget pedalboard. There are no rules.

And being a fan of many BOSS pedals, I can think of at least one very intriguing ALL-BOSS pedalboard that would inspire me to interact with it like a Eurorack synth. It would definitely include a DSD-2, at least two PS-3s, a VB-2, and an SG-1... among others.

And being a fan of many BOSS pedals, I can think of at least one very intriguing ALL-BOSS pedalboard that would inspire me to interact with it like a Eurorack synth. It would definitely include a DSD-2, at least two PS-3s, a VB-2, and an SG-1... among others.

I think I'd have fun playing with a board like that. :thu:

• Members

Boss is OK but I personally don't have any brand loyalty and will use anything including generics if it sounds good.

When you're young you tend to justify any gear you own. You vainly label it as being the best simply because you own it, not because you've tried out all the other options. Its much different when you actually have the opportunity to A/B compare pedals and base your judgment on the results.

The thing about that however is its a slow process that can take a lifetime simply because of the lack of opportunity, especially if you buy on line. That's where a local music store can be super helpful. If you have a store and get to know the manager they can let you try out different pieces of gear and refine your options instead of going at it blindly and simply hoping for the best. That along with working with other musicians and playing through their gear helps you decide what works or doesn't work for you.

There is allot of adaptation that occurs too. If a person only has a certain set of tools to work with they tend to refine their skills to get the best tones out of them.

I used Boss gear for a good 20 years, both pedals and rack units. I even own one of their stereo guitar preamps which is still an excellent unit. I also own several of these micro rack units.

[img2=JSON]{"alt":"Image result for boss micro rack","data-align":"none","data-size":"full","height":"559","width":"839","src":"http:\/\/www.clapton.dk\/wp\/wp-content\/uploads\/2013\/08\/MicroRack_1_1.jpg"}[/img2]

I played with many guitarists that used their multi effects units too. You can get some excellent tones from them if you have the patience to build presets.

Today I don't see much sense in paying a premium for a brand name. Boss has earned the right to charge whatever they want but like others said, its the sound that counts. I'd rather buy a pedal for half or quarter the cost which not only uses all the same parts but is just as well built. They don't have the same resale value but I'm really not that concerned with that. I like having a variety of sounds vs one that's brand specific.

Archived