joyo vintage overdrive

fishingjude

• Members

I would like to change the footswitch on my joyo vintage drive pedal but I dont have a clue

how to tell what wire is what because the switch is on a pc board like this.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n32082998[/ATTACH]

Its the six white wires at the bottom of pcb attached to the 3pdt switch that have me stumped.

How can I tell what is what. Thank you

Rey

e9c3975328fc013ca15ee3673a5f055e.jpg.b268373179ac7f72dd61adf3e2a9bc07.jpg

• Members

The switch is on a second board that's not in your picture. Its a PC mount 3PDT switch.

First off - Why are your changing the switch? The one that comes with the pedal is a true bypass. If its failing, have you cleaned it with pot cleaner first? If it hasn't failed yet there's absolutely nothing to be gained by changing it. If it has failed and cleaning hasn't fixed it then you simply need to buy another switch of the same kind, de-solder the old one and re-solder the new one in its place.

The only reason to know what the wires do is if the switch and the PCB it mounts to are missing (which means your LED is missing too)

In order to know which wire goes where you need to have enough experience to signal trace the PCB (which you obviously don't by the fact that you're asking) You can either use an ohm meter on the switch lugs and figure out how they toggle, then trace where each wire goes by drawing a diagram from the solder lugs of the switch to the wires that connect to the main PCB.

The other way is to take an Ibanez 808 schematic and figure out where those components are on the Joyo PCB, then follow the traces to where those white wires connect.

The Joyo make it simple with the ribbon cable they use if the switch PCB is used. The wires are in order left to right on both boards.

Cant see replacing the switch on these however. They are one of the better tube screamer clones but a decent 3PDT switch cost $12. The entire pedal only cost $25. If the switch is worn enough to be giving problems and its already been cleaned a few times then just buy another pedal for the extra $10. you'll save that in labor time alone.

Archived