midi controlled pedals

mbengs1

• Members

I noticed the digitech whammy pedal has a midi input or whatever on the side. I was wondering what this is for and why would a whammy pedal need to be controlled by midi? I also noticed my eventide h3000 ultra harmonizer also has midi jacks at the back.:rolleyes:

• Members

The Eventide probably has a slew of control options different parameters in/dec, control changes - pitch and rates etc. as well as just patch changes. The pedal probably similar; dunno. Most useful for live shows and/or recording where a pro would want to automate as much as possible.

I have a Midi and Quadra verb and neither is hooked up to midi. The only thing I've used midi for is the original intent of hooking up a bunch of keys and modules and the odd midi sequence.

Those Molten Voltage boxes are so clever, and so useful!

There's a lot of things you can do with MIDI-equipped effects. It's very useful in the studio for automation, for when you want a specific effect at a specific time, and for locking things to the music's tempo, etc.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Phil, as always you are correct about the value of midi. I started my first pedalboard about 6-8 weeks ago, although I played for 58 years without one. I have used midi with keys for years, but never for guitar. I bought a TC Flashback x4 so I could use more than one delay in a song on stage. I never even cared that it had midi. When the PB grew, I realized I needed a loop switcher so I bought a Voodoo Lab PX-8+ which has midi control. 36 presets and manual loop control if desired. I tried it with my X4 and quickly saw the potential of midi, and the constraints of the X4. I could only choose between X4 preset 1, 2 or 3. Nothing more. Well I then decided to get the Voodoo Lab Control Switcher which lets the looper control anything that normally has a pedal, like the channel selection and reverb on my amp. I could then program the channel selection along with reverb on/off into the PX-8+ presets so I didn't dance on an extra pedal. That still only gave me 36 presets so I bought the Midi Mouse which took the count up to 128.

Today I traded my X4 and anther piece of gear to a guy for a brand new Nemesis DD and it is stellar with full midi control as well as expression control. Next purchase was an Eventide H9 Standard, and a second Eventide H9 (CORE) which I ordered today. I have become a junkie because I can program everything in the rig, and hit one button and go. No dancing. I love technology. Lots of effort to set it all up, but then technology stops interfering with my playing. Step on button-GO.

Archived