Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blank canvas effects pedal?

Collapse

X
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks to all who posted to help me out! I actually ended up buying a Zoom G3n last week. It's versatile enough for my needs, and the ability to manage effects and patches on the computer is a huge plus.
    Martin D-15
    ​Breedlove C250/CMe
    PRS SE Standard 245

"Everything I've ever done was out of fear of being mediocre." -Chet Atkins

Comment

i just stumbled upon this today:
      https://hackaday.com/2017/09/12/peda...-guitar-pedal/

its also a project from the same people who did the arduino project posted some posts above
      https://www.electrosmash.com/pedal-pi

its raspi based, is low-fi and uses only a 12bit ADC.
      its a cool project for those who want to experiment with such stuff, but it also shows computing power is not so great and cheap to handle 24bit or more. if it should be hi-fi you need special hardware which costs much more than a rasberry-pi

Comment

Originally posted by dweebking View Post

next up: Malekko Sneak Attack - an example of how not to design a pedal UI
        and it doesn't come with a manual

It seems pretty straightforward to me. But then again, I understand the basics of what an ADSR is and how they work.

I've never tried a Sneak Attack, but I can tell you what the controls are designed to do just by looking at it.

https://malekkoheavyindustry.com/sne...and-lil-buddy/

The A and D stand for "Attack" and "Decay" - there are knobs for each (top row) that sets the shape of the attack / release envelope curves - how fast and how much they ramp up / down over time. Directly below are knobs that determine how long each stage (attack and release) lasts - that way, you can have a slow attack that ramps up linearly or that does so logarithmically (or inverse log, etc.), and a completely different curve and time setting for the decay stage.

Threshold sets the sensitivity and level point where the AD envelope is triggered. Adjust that to suit your playing and how hard you pick. I suspect that the Man Trig setting over-rides the sensitivity and allows the use of an external manual trigger, when one is connected to the trigger jack. You might be able to trigger via external CV too. The LFO mode turns the pedal into a tremolo, with user-adjustable attack and decay envelope curves.

Level is probably an output level control, which would allow you to compensate for decreased perceived volume in some settings due to lessened attack transients, etc.

For a guitarist some of this could be new and somewhat confusing, but it's basic synth and audio engineering 101. The guys at Malekko are both guitarists and synth fans, so maybe that clouded the design of the labeling a bit, and I agree there should be a manual, but I really don't think the user interface or labeling on that pedal are all that horrible. YMMV.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

- Sir George Martin, All You Need Is Ears

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

- Bob Lefsetz, The Lefsetz Letter

Comment

Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe View Post

It seems pretty straightforward to me. But then again, I understand the basics of what an ADSR is and how they work.

I've never tried a Sneak Attack, .... but I really don't think the user interface or labeling on that pedal are all that horrible. YMMV.
          the controls aren't that much different than the adsr in my philosopher king.
          the problem turned out to be how they implemented/overlaid the 'auto threshold' knob.

first time i plugged it in, i set all the controls at noon and got no audio. nothing.
          then i turned each knob full sweep, returning it to noon before moving to the next. still nothing.
          i couldn't find the manual, until i realized the button didn't show up unless java script was enabled, but even with the manual i couldn't get any sound. i was becoming convinced it was broke and not looking forward to having to rma it.

after rummaging around on the malekko site i found this in the 'faq'

"Sneak Attack suddenly has low volume, volume drop, no volume or “just stopped working”.
          The output level setting is actually saved when you are in LFO or MANUAL TRIGGER modes (so if you had the pedal in MANUAL TRIGGER MODE and your LEVEL knob was turned down, then you switched to LFO mode, the level will still be low).
          You can simply reset your levels by turning the AUTO THRESHOLD knob to MANUAL TRIGGER and readjusting the LEVEL knob. Sweep the LEVEL knob right, left, right. The pedal’s volume will now be set louder than the input, and you can adjust to taste."

apparently, i received the pedal in the "just stopped working" mode and didn't stumble on the "magic knob settings" to fix it.

That Really Should Be In The Manual. In The Box

I spent a couple more days trying to grok it before sending it back.
          there are some great sounds in it (beyond the adsr in the pigtronix, which is why i bought it), but it's a pita compared to the pigtronix, and i've never encountered a pedal as easy to shoot yourself in the foot with...
          ok maybe i exaggerated, no sound out of a sneak attack is better than kicking a knob on mic'd fuzz factory
          Last edited by dweebking; 09-17-2017, 04:59 AM.
          i was getting ready to try an trademark a band name ...
          and then i woke up and realized "dildos on marz" probably wasn't a great idea

harmony central is so much nicer without the drama queens

"in a couple centuries, when people finally appreciate my genius, you can all kiss my ..." - vincent van gogh

Comment

I see - yes, I agree that is very important information, and it should not only be in the manual, it should be highlighted so no one misses it. To not do so is a bad idea IMO, not only for customers, but from Malekko's perspective - they're probably going to get a lot of unnecessary returns.

"Look at it this way: think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize half of 'em are stupider than that."

- George Carlin

"It shouldn't be expected that people are necessarily doing what they appear to be doing on records."

"The music business will be revitalized by musicians, not the labels or Live Nation. When the musicians decide to put music first, instead of money, the public will flock to the fruits and the scene will be healthy again."

Comment

There's also this: ​https://hoxtonowl.com/

You can upload existing patches to it or develop your own. I bought 2 in the Kickstarter a few years ago, but still didn't have time for it :-/
              http://www.effectsdatabase.com
              Info about more than 23000 pedals from 4000 brands
              NAMM news: http://fxdb.org/namm
              Musikmesse news: http://fxdb.org/messe

Comment

That sounds similar to the Mod Duo, which may also be something the OP might want to look into...

http://moddevices.com/mod-duo

- George Carlin

Comment

Working...
                X