Pedal Power Supply

mbengs1

• Members

I currently use one spot 9v adapter with a daisy chain to power all my 11 pedals. It's very convenient but is there a difference with more expensive power supplies like MXR dc brick or Voolab pedal power 2? these power supplies are more expensive for a reason, I'm quite sure. Is there a difference in power, noise level, or tone? coz if there is, i'll consider better a power supply for my pedals... :cool:

• Members

Cool links, bro! :) I have a noise problem when using my distortions. the hum is loud... but if you have a noise gate pedal or something, that solves the noise problem. i think i will still use my one spot. if it breaks then i'll get an upgrade to it.

• Members

there are a lot of causes of noise, from rf interference to dirty power, ground loops, and bad cabling.

identify the sources, then you can consider solutions. ie. is the pedal noisy itself or is it amplifying noise introduced somewhere else ? you don't want to use noise reduction if you don't have to, and when you do you don't want to use more than you must ?

• Members

The hum isn't coming from the power supply, its either the guitar cables or the guitar itself allowing hum to leak in. I run a spot one with a full 11 pedals, all different kinds with no signs of adaptor hum.

If you turn your guitar's volume off, and still hear hum, it may be the adaptors overloaded. If you only hear it with the drive boxes turned up it has nothing to do with the power supply. (its not leaking AC) Your problem is Drive boxes contain multiple amplifier stages and will raise the noise floor up to reveal any weaknesses in your cable or guitar shielding.

You can either increase the instruments shielding, buy better cords with a +90% shield thickness or use a hush type pedal to gate the noise floor when you aren't playing. The hum isn't likely heard when you stop playing and the hum is mixed with hiss which can both be masked by a gate pedal.

Spot one power supplies are very good at filtering the DC voltage, so long as you don't exceed the maximum current level of 1700mA. You can look up the specs on your pedals and add up the total current they need (if the pedal manufacturers supply that info) Most pedals require less than 100mA unless its a specialty pedal.

You can usually identify the power pigs simply through process of elimination. I've only come across a couple of pedals that don't work well with a spot one and I simply use a separate/independent wall wart for those.

• Members

Boss and Dan Electro are good zero hum adaptors. Boss pedals especially need a zero hum adaptor or they will hum when bypassed. They are buffered pedals not true bypass so they will hum on or bypassed if you use a cheap adaptor with poor filtering.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

What are the differences between the good power supplies? I really don't know anything so i'd settle for the mxr dc brick coz that's what I first knew about. but what is the advantages and disadvantages of voodoo lab any expensive power supply?

• Members

For my pedalboard, I picked the Truetone CS 12. It had the versatility in terms of settings (9 volt/12 volt a couple of 18 volts, variety of mA) and I've managed to power all my pedals with it. It also came with the mounting brackets for my Pedal train so it was a breeze to install.

But the most important part is that it's completely isolated so its pin drop quiet. My pedalboard has a couple of analog pedals and some digital as well running into a loop switcher so that's normally a recipe for noise. I think its the best power supply on the market right now. There are a few more expensive options but none that fit my needs or had the same feature set.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotProCS12

Archived