Fulltone OCD - new version. Anyone trading up?

• Members

I received an email from Fulltone telling me about a lot of new whizzy features in the latest version of the OCD pedal. It looks like a major upgrade, but I don't understand enough about the new features - there seems to be a lot about buffering options. I only bought my OCD six months ago. Anyone recommend I take a hit on it on Ebay and buy the latest one?

There have been many "versions" over the years, and the effects world has largely known them as V1 - V4. I have what has always been known (up until now) as a V3, and I love it.

Apparently the older ones like mine are all considered the same version - the slight variations are now considered sub-versions by Fulltone. Not sure if the effects world will follow the nomenclature or not, considering how long they've been calling the earlier models V1 - V4.

Here's the story from Mike Fuller & Co.

https://www.fulltone.com/products/ocd-v2

Now, should you ditch your OCD for a newer one? That's hard to say. I personally prefer the sound of my "V3" over the V2 and V4, but not everyone would agree and not everyone would notice the subtle differences. As far as the new version, I have not heard it, but if you liked the sound significantly more, that might be a reason to consider it. If you like the sound of what you have a lot, you might not. If after reading about the new features it sounds like something you want or need, you might consider it... at the end of the day, you're really the only one who can answer that question.

I look forward to hearing the latest OCD, but I for one am in no hurry to swap out what I already have - it's long been one of my favorite overdrive pedals.

• Members

I have a version V.4. I like the sound of it and the way it drives my amp. I try not to get caught up in the hype of "new and improved". It is all subjective. If you like the sound of it, it doesn't matter if there are older or newer versions of the pedal. I did upgrade my FullDrive 2 to a 3 because it had a separate boost button. That I like because that is one less pedal on my board.

Archived