Pedal Board Using Nothing But Mini Pedals

• Members

Anyone that knows me knows that I am a pedal junkie. I have hundreds of them. I have everything from pedals 50 years old to several days old.

But what I don't have is any mini pedals.

Even though I have a lot of pedals I can't stand big, junkie pedal boards. I usually no more than 7 pedals on a board.

Right now I'm using a 2 row Pedaltrain that is about 20 inches wide. I got to thinking about that even it is too bulky for my taste. So I thought about taking the pedals that I use now, see if they make mini counterparts. So here are my pedals.

Polytune - Yes there is a mini

Ego Compressor - Yes there is a mini - just found out

TC Electronic Flashback Delay - Yes there is a mini

TC Electronic Hall of Fame Reverb - Yep

MXR Analog Delay - No

MXR Phase 90 - Yep (the 95)

Various Overdrives ( I swap between several) - Yes there are plenty

Occasional Tremelo (doesn't have a permanent spot on board) - Open to suggestions

Okay that being said, the ones that have mini counterparts are no brainers to me. I will just get the mini counterpart, but that leaves the analog delay, overdrive, and tremolo.

Let's start with the analog delay. Something keeps steering me toward the Ibanez Analog Delay Mini. What is your thoughts? Do you have any other suggestions?

Second what about overdrives, I have looked and looked at the numerous ones out there and the Keeley Red Dirt mini keeps popping up? Seems like a good pedal, what do you think. I went into it with the Mini Tube Screamer in mind but every review I've seen said it is noisy as hell. What is everyone else's experience?

And last what about a tremolo or even a vibe? I have no idea on this one. It doesn't usually keep a permanent spot on my boards so I'm open to any suggestions.

I hoping all, at least the first seven will fit on a Nano+.

Any and all feedback and suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Okay that being said, the ones that have mini counterparts are no brainers to me. I will just get the mini counterpart, but that leaves the analog delay, overdrive, and tremolo.

Let's start with the analog delay. Something keeps steering me toward the Ibanez Analog Delay Mini. What is your thoughts? Do you have any other suggestions?

My two thoughts are the max delay time and the lack of any modulation on that delay. I like modulation, but YMMV. The delay time isn't the issue I thought, since it appears it has double the 300ms max delay time that I thought it would have.

Other "mini" delays include the Red Witch Violetta (which has modulation), as well as the TC Flashback Mini. Mooer, Outlaw Effects, Joyo and Xvive also make mini delays - the Xvive V5 looks very similar to the Ibanez in terms of features.

Second what about overdrives, I have looked and looked at the numerous ones out there and the Keeley Red Dirt mini keeps popping up? Seems like a good pedal, what do you think. I went into it with the Mini Tube Screamer in mind but every review I've seen said it is noisy as hell. What is everyone else's experience?

Sorry to hear the Ibanez is noisy... that would have been the first thing I would have considered as far as overdrives too. :(

FWIW, I love the Malekko Fuzz, which is a mini fuzz pedal that is similar to a Univox Super Fuzz in sound. I'd personally want both fuzz and OD on my mini board - YMMV.

And last what about a tremolo or even a vibe? I have no idea on this one. It doesn't usually keep a permanent spot on my boards so I'm open to any suggestions.

The Xvive V16 Stereo Undulator tremolo is pretty darned cool. I like the fact that it's stereo, as well as the variable waveform control.

There's also a TC Electronics mini vibrato pedal called the Shaker Mini Vibrato.

The Malekko Tremolo is a great sounding basic tremolo too.

You do know that I expect to see pics of this board once you have it finished, right? :cop:;)

• Members

My two thoughts are the max delay time and the lack of any modulation on that delay. I like modulation, but YMMV. The delay time isn't the issue I thought, since it appears it has double the 300ms max delay time that I thought it would have.

Other "mini" delays include the Red Witch Violetta (which has modulation), as well as the TC Flashback Mini. Mooer, Outlaw Effects, Joyo and Xvive also make mini delays - the Xvive V5 looks very similar to the Ibanez in terms of features.

Sorry to hear the Ibanez is noisy... that would have been the first thing I would have considered as far as overdrives too. :(

FWIW, I love the Malekko Fuzz, which is a mini fuzz pedal that is similar to a Univox Super Fuzz in sound. I'd personally want both fuzz and OD on my mini board - YMMV.

The Xvive V16 Stereo Undulator tremolo is pretty darned cool. I like the fact that it's stereo, as well as the variable waveform control.

There's also a TC Electronics mini vibrato pedal called the Shaker Mini Vibrato.

The Malekko Tremolo is a great sounding basic tremolo too.

You do know that I expect to see pics of this board once you have it finished, right? :cop:;)

I didn't think about modulation, but is definitely something to think about. I will have the Flashback mini on the board as well but I was think about an analog one as well. I think I'll look at the Red Witch and the Mooer. What do you think about the Joyo? The seem pretty cheap cost wise but I hear good things about them.

I deally I would like to have a Fuzz but I'm not sure I will have the room. I may go ahead and get the Malekko and just swap it in and out as needed.

I look at all of the Vibratos and tremolos but the Shaker has really got my attention. I love TonePrint.

It may take me about 30 days to complete, but as soon as I get it completed I will post some pics.

Thanks dude.

• Members
Any time - good luck with it! I'm looking forward to seeing the pics when you get it finished. :snax:

Will do.

What do you think about Mooer's Mod Factory? I don't use tremolo THAT much, nor any of the other mods available but it sure would be nice to have them on the board when you do need them.

Will do.

What do you think about Mooer's Mod Factory? I don't use tremolo THAT much, nor any of the other mods available but it sure would be nice to have them on the board when you do need them.

I had never heard that one before, so I went and listened to a couple of demo videos...

[video=youtube;22vnj5BDPko]

[video=youtube;LQPduaeYkJw]

B&H has them for $59. With the caveat that I'm going off of the videos and have never tried or heard one in person, I'd say it seems like a lot of modulation capabilities for very low dosh. :)

I'd still want a separate tremolo too, but that's just me - I like mixing swirly pitch-shifting effects like vibe, chorus and vibrato with amplitude modulation sometimes.

• Members

I had never heard that one before, so I went and listened to a couple of demo videos...

[video=youtube;22vnj5BDPko]

[video=youtube;LQPduaeYkJw]

B&H has them for $59. With the caveat that I'm going off of the videos and have never tried or heard one in person, I'd say it seems like a lot of modulation capabilities for very low dosh. :)

I'd still want a separate tremolo too, but that's just me - I like mixing swirly pitch-shifting effects like vibe, chorus and vibrato with amplitude modulation sometimes.

I'm like you for $59 its hard not to try. I'm going to get one, I doubt very seriously if it will ever get a permanent spot on my board but it would be nice to have in the arsenal.

• Members
Cool - please let me know what you think once you try it out. :wave:

Ok Phil, let me run this by you.

With my mini pedal board I am basically taking what I have on my pedalboard and using the exact mini version or as close to it as I can get.

That being said here is the order of my pedals from guitar input to out put to amp.

Polytune

Ego Compressor

Flashback Delay

HOF Reverb

MXR Analog Delay

Phase 90

Overdrive

What do you think about that order?

Also where should the Mod/Tremelo go? Sometimes I stick on the end out of convenience and sometimes I put it between the HOF and the MXR Delay.

What do you think?

Ok Phil, let me run this by you.

With my mini pedal board I am basically taking what I have on my pedalboard and using the exact mini version or as close to it as I can get.

That being said here is the order of my pedals from guitar input to out put to amp.

Polytune

Ego Compressor

Flashback Delay

HOF Reverb

MXR Analog Delay

Phase 90

Overdrive

What do you think about that order?

Also where should the Mod/Tremelo go? Sometimes I stick on the end out of convenience and sometimes I put it between the HOF and the MXR Delay.

What do you think?

Here's what I'd probably use:

Polytune

Ego Compressor

Phase 90

Overdrive

Modulation

Tremolo

MXR Analog Delay

Flashback Delay

HOF Reverb

Phase is a weird one - for some people, the thought is that, as a filter, it should be placed early in the chain. Others view it more along the lines of modulation and would put it after the dirt pedals. Experiment with both approaches and see which one you prefer.

Some players would also put mod pedals after tremolo... again, experiment with both - for some peope it really won't make much of a difference either way since they probably won't use modulation and tremolo simultaneously, but if you do, it can definitely make a difference.

Dirt pedals are usually placed earlier in the chain than modulation pedals, and delay and reverb are typically the last pedals in the chain - but there are no hard and fast rules. If you want to crunch up the output of your delays and reverb, placing the overdrive later may make more sense to you, but beware: that kind of late in the chain placement will accentuate the noise from all the stuff ahead of it in the signal path.

Delay and reverb is another one to experiment with - in nature, we hear a slight delay (or series of delays) before the onset of reverberation, and often it makes more sense to run delay before reverb, but if you like really washed-out, indistinct repeats, you can certainly experiment with reversing that order.

Archived