compressor advice...

• Moderators

gotta decide...I am price and size challenged for this pedal board... looking at the Malekko Omicron Compressor, which has two controls, but they seem fairly intuitive, or a Joyo Ironman Pipebomb, which is a 4 knob compressor. The Malekko is less apt to raise noise issues, I think, but the Joyo has more adjustable parameters. I also think the Malekko is a better built unit, but it lacks the extra parameters.

I really want it to be a set and forget, always on, and I have a TC 'Bona Fide' buffer in front of it.

I am open to opinions on both, but I need to decide in the next few days and don't have time to try them out.

PLEASE... no suggestions of something else, this is what I have already whittled down to...

• Members

I have used a lot of compressors in my other life as a soundman. They are great when they are set right and are good quality. When either of those two things are wrong, they suck. I assume as a guitarist you know how to use effects so I won't go there. I will say that almost nothing is worse then being mid song when something goes amiss. Build quality is super important to me. Next is noise level. I looked up the reviews for the JOYO and everyone loved the size. One guy said hot humbuckers on his V made it distort at anything over barely on, although his Fenders didn't do that at all. He also said others complained to him about the noise at band level playing. The second guy said he liked everything but the noise and returned his. I stopped reading there.

Did you read Phil's review? Lots of information on the pedal. He said if you want something like the old Ross compressor, and are a set and forget sort of guy, this could be the pedal for you... although he also mentioned that the basic circuit design of the pedal (like the Ross) does generate some noise, so I think you have to learn to work with it.

If the choice is one of these two only I would go with the Malekko.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...s/malekko-comp

You're going to hate me for suggesting something else, but IMHO you really should consider it... the Pigtronix Philosopher's Tone Micro:

"In short, this is, by far, the best-sounding micro-sized compressor pedal I've ever tried. If you want a compressor but have little room for one on your board, you really need to try this pedal for yourself."

- Me:) :0:D

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert-reviews/pigtronix-philosphers-tone-micro-compressor-pedal

I have used a lot of compressors in my other life as a soundman. They are great when they are set right and are good quality. When either of those two things are wrong, they suck. I assume as a guitarist you know how to use effects so I won't go there. I will say that almost nothing is worse then being mid song when something goes amiss. Build quality is super important to me. Next is noise level. I looked up the reviews for the JOYO and everyone loved the size. One guy said hot humbuckers on his V made it distort at anything over barely on, although his Fenders didn't do that at all. He also said others complained to him about the noise at band level playing. The second guy said he liked everything but the noise and returned his. I stopped reading there.

Did you read Phil's review? Lots of information on the pedal. He said if you want something like the old Ross compressor, and are a set and forget sort of guy, this could be the pedal for you... although he also mentioned that the basic circuit design of the pedal (like the Ross) does generate some noise, so I think you have to learn to work with it.

If the choice is one of these two only I would go with the Malekko.

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...s/malekko-comp

The Malekko is an excellent Ross-type compressor, but like all Dynacomp / Ross circuits, there's going to be some noise with it. In comparison, the Pigtronix is quieter, and it has a blend control which adds to the versatility... but if it has to be one or the other of the two pedals that were mentioned in the OP, then I'd definitely say to go with the Malekko.

• Members

Phil, I agree. Neither is my actual choice, but I didn't suggest that because he said it WOULD be one of the two. I would still be looking after reading about them both. Even for under $100, there are plenty of choices I would consider.

• Moderators

the $ and size issues are crucial, as is timing. I have a very 'inexpensive comp', and it is just a bit too noisy...and not quite 'squishy' enough.

I do know the drawbacks of the Ross style comps; I had an original script Dynacomp decades ago. I have not used any pedals in my main gigs for almost 20 years, and much has changed, to the point of being overwhelming as to how many builders are out there now, and how much stuff. The project I need the comp for is not generating any income [originals band, showcasing in LA...no money there]. I am on a 'fixed' [although I think of it as broken] income at the moment; cash outlay is a major concern, so I sold some other gear to fund this, so I am in a tight box on $.

If money was not a concern, the Philosopher's Tone or the xotic SP would be my preferred compressors, and if size didn't matter [yes, I did say that!] I would be all over the Mad Professor Forest Green or the Keeley 4 knob...but not this time around.

Looks like the Malekko is the better choice, which I was leaning toward anyway...thanks guys.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Moderators

just to wrap this up...the Malekko Omicron Compressor arrived yesterday. Plugged it in to my 'mini' pedalboard, and yes, exactly what I was hoping for. Quickly found a setting that held the unity gain but gave me some wanted 'fat', and it tamed the wild volume issues I had with the Mooer Black Secret dirt pedal and Spark boost. I may try my Donner Boost Killer in place of the Mooer now that the 'mood swing' thing is controlled...or not...

if anyone wants a KOKCO compressor cheap, PM me...

Archived