EHX 9 series pedals

will EHX midify the Nine Series ? add an assignable expression input, downloadable patches, and a software editor ???

i have a spot reserved on my board

I doubt it... although they may decide to add an expression pedal jack, I don't even really see them doing that - although it's apparently possible to mod them for one that can control the Mod(ulation) knob on the pedals... but frankly, I think the pedals are better served with the use of external modulation pedals processing them instead of using the onboard modulation.

https://www.jhspedals.com/products/d...pression-mods/

The 9 series pedals are designed for guitarists; many of whom are notoriously tech-phobic. EHX made the 9 series as simple and easy as possible for them to use so they can get "keyboard" type sounds without the complexity and hassles of most MIDI and (Gtr) synth systems.

I don't think the sound generation methods used in the 9 series would lend itself to easy user-manipulation via a software editor either. While EHX has been understandably somewhat secretive about the sound generation methods they used, they did confirm to me once that I wasn't very far off in my suppositions regarding how they are doing it.

Sorry, I forget which review I mentioned it in, but it was one of the 9 series pedal reviews that I wrote....

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...ro-harmonix-b9

http://www.harmonycentral.com/expert...-machine-pedal

• Members

hopes crushed, lol

i tried the key9 and first thing i noticed was i couldn't tweek the parameters i wanted. they give you 2 knobs hard wired to their choice. it's like that across the series... and i recently picked up a neunaber wet and realized how much more useful and desirable the 9 series would be if you could down load the patches you wanted from any of the 9s.

and edit on a pc like tc's tonepress, line6s monkey, neunabers expanse series, eventide etc.

EHX does seem midi/patch editing phobic, considering which pedals they've included midi in but both the whole series of harazai mm, cathedral, ring thing, talking machine etc. have editable, storable patches. but except the 8 step, no midi, and none have computer enhanced editing.

for some reason, i thought the 9 series would feel/sound like the velocity sensitive vsts i dabbled with using an axiom25 years ago and was disappointed it wasn't even close.

i'll probably end up grabbing a fishman triple play instead then, but i didn't want to have to depend on a pc. the stand alone vst hosts don't seem suitable for pedal boards, but maybe win10 embedded on an intel nuc would work.

[or i could just get out the axiom25 again, lol]

hopes crushed, lol

i tried the key9 and first thing i noticed was i couldn't tweek the parameters i wanted. they give you 2 knobs hard wired to their choice. it's like that across the series... and i recently picked up a neunaber wet and realized how much more useful and desirable the 9 series would be if you could down load the patches you wanted from any of the 9s.

I suspect that may be technically possible, and you might even be able to write your own "editing app", but it would definitely be a huge and complicated hack... if you're electronically knowledgeable and you look at the "gutshot" pictures I took of the two 9 series pedals, you'll notice they're very similar, and you can probably take a guess as to how they're "programmed" - there's an unused multi-pin jack there that I suspect is used in the process at the factory. There might not be much, if any circuit differences between them, but I have to admit I've never tried to closely compare their circuits. If the hardware circuits have significant differences, it could be impossible to do.

As my bud CN Fletcher used to say, a smart man wouldn't do it and a lazy man wouldn't do it... it would be cheaper, faster and much, much easier just to buy the 9 series pedals you wanted and have all of the 9-series sounds available that way.

Archived