what's your favorite amp speaker?

mbengs1

• Members

I've heard lots of speakers from celestion, the greenbacks, vintage 30, G12 75 watters. i think the standard G12 75-watt speakers are the best. just the most common celestion speaker. it has a balanced sound that works for so many situations. what's yours?

• Members

I have Carvin BR 12s and 2 EVM 12S in separate cabs. I prefer the Carvins. The EVs have been silent since 2000 give or take. I could probably find Celestions I like too but I'm good with the speaker upgrades already.

• Members

My favorites are my Vintage Altec 417's

zticeo2nzynvutrwtw3q.jpg

Followed by the

Celestion G12H-75 Creamback's I have in my Marshall slant 1960 cab.

G12H7516-large.jpg?d8b17d68d4

Followed by my P10R Jensen Vintage Alnico 10's

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31973015[/ATTACH]

Of course these JBL 140's aren't bad for bass either.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31973017[/ATTACH]

Neither is this massive bruit, the

JBL 2240 H 18" when you run them with a pair of 10's

a.provider,m.320472,mod.media,th.normal,s.pictures.jpg

• Members
It really depends on the amp. I couldn't imagine running anything other than a Celestion Blue or Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo in a Vox' date=' and I really love the EVM in my Princeton Reverb II.[/quote']

I like the EVM12L (except for the weight) and the Jensen P10R which I have in my SF Princeton Reverb.

I had a nice and versatile solid state 100 Watt Fender Montreux which was easy to carry around until I loaded it with a EVM12L. It made the amp heavy and awkward but it certainly sounded good.

• Members

I like the EVM12L (except for the weight) and the Jensen P10R which I have in my SF Princeton Reverb.

I had a nice and versatile solid state 100 Watt Fender Montreux which was easy to carry around until I loaded it with a EVM12L. It made the amp heavy and awkward but it certainly sounded good.

I have a couple of 1x12s with vintage 12Ls

They certainly are work horses, very versatile, sound good enough, etc.

Though they aren't what I would consider my favorite speaker, If I didn't have mine, I'd buy them again.

• Members

I haven't done much speaker swapping, but I typically lean towards the Jensen or Celesation side of things. The stock Celesation in my HRD was nice, and then I bought a V30 for it, which was cool but wasn't for me. Eventually I put some Jensen in it that I liked a lot too.

• Members

Certainly depends on the amp. No Vox sounds right without Blues. Marshall has GOT to have Green or Cream backs, and HI-Watt just screams Fane. But if I could only buy one pair and they had to work in every situation with every amp, I would look for vintage D-130s (gray frame, silver dust cap.) Second choice would be EVM12Ls.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

I've never tried a Cream - are they similar to a Blue in overall tone, but with greater power handling capability?

That's exactly how I would describe them, except they have a pre broken-in sound straight out of the box. Not what I would use in my Marshall, but perfect for my Vox amps.

Archived