Electro-Harmonix Deluxe Electric Mistress Vintage vs. newer XO Model

euripides99

• Members

I've had to two vintage models with the AC cord. I still have one. I traded the other here on HCFX for something years ago.

Both of my vintage ones were noisy. Although you can do mods to the vintage ones to quiet them down, the newer ones are quieter, but I don't know about the mojo.....

I haven't looked at the schematics for the two versions, but I thought they were basically using the same circuit, just in a slightly different case. :idk:

If that's true, I really wouldn't expect there to be a lot of difference between the two in terms of how they sound.

• Members

I had one back in the 70's before the power supply transformer eventually blow. It had become a basket case long before that. The steel cases were flexible and the board was mounted to the top of the case. Constantly pushing the switch eventually cracked the board from the flexing and I had to glue the board and run jumpers over the traces. I later had issues with the trim pots and even had to replace one.

The circuit itself wasn't bad but I'll second what jorhay1 says about them being noisy, especially with the depth cranked up, they sounding like a skill saw.

Given the age of the vintage ones, it may be worth more money wise but for functionally practicality, you'd likely be better off with a new one. The components used in the old ones weren't anything special. many of them were typical bargain basement stuff. Part quality like caps have improved over the years especially in gear made in the orient.

If they used the same schematics and used budget parts without making any circuit mods the quality of the reissues would likely be better quality. I believe they are using sturdier cases with a smaller size too. Without the internal power supply you can shrink the size down.

These were the original deluxe versions that had the built in power supply and factory built boards. These weren't cheap either. I think I paid around $150 back in the mid 70's and that was a lot of cash back then.

dem_v2_5.jpg

Heres an original board.

dlxmistress-Ex.jpg

Heres the reissue. The biggest difference are the caps pots and trim pots.

dlxmistress-Fx.jpg

They went to a budget version with the AC adaptor. This one is from 1978. These look to be really inexpensive builds and an accident waiting to happen. Bottom...

L1030715.jpg

Top... Quite disorganized and looks to be hand built by low skilled labors. These sold for less then the Deluxe's and you can obviously see why.

1977-vintage-electric-mistress-v2-pcb-components.jpg

This is an 81 version with green drop caps.

em6_1.jpg

A Neo Mistress using modern micro components. Weakness? Plastic jacks, PC mount switch.

20150919_173414_1.jpg

New stereo version all micro components too.

EHseminsideview.jpg

This new 9V clone looks to be a quality build with high quality components. The white squares on the right are high quality caps as are the yellow drops on the left. Wires are looped through the board so they dont get yanked from the traces accidentally.

You can see how uniform this build is. someone did a good job installing these parts.

markus_mistress.jpg

Heres another clone built from a kit. The build here uses modern components. The caps look to be all orange drop and the square ceramic type. Trim pots are high quality. I see nothing wrong with this one except maybe the PC mount stomp switch. If there's a weak spot that's likely it. How this might sound to an original version I have no idea but I'd suspect it would be pretty close if the same components are used.

fmmkfmrizshascsxu8ou.jpg

Archived