Is an equalizer pedal considered a gain pedal?

mbengs1

• Members

since it technically boosts frequencies... I plan to buy a noise suppresor pedal and i was thinking if i should include it in the loop of the noise gate since it boosts frequencies? i currently put an eq pedal at the end of the chain after the delay. will this pedal generate enough noise that it needs to be put along side the gain boosting pedals?

since it technically boosts frequencies...

Aaah... but they can also CUT frequencies too! :idea::) And that's why most of them have some sort of a gain control - so you can return the signal to unity gain if you want / need to. Of course you can also boost the output past unity if you want with most of them, or lower it below unity gain, so while I wouldn't normally think of an EQ as a "gain pedal", they certainly have the ability to adjust the output level, and I (and many others) have recommended them as an alternative to boost pedals in the past.

I plan to buy a noise suppresor pedal and i was thinking if i should include it in the loop of the noise gate since it boosts frequencies? i currently put an eq pedal at the end of the chain after the delay. will this pedal generate enough noise that it needs to be put along side the gain boosting pedals?

Try it and see, but it probably won't be adding huge amounts of noise - at least not compared to the typical distortion pedal.

• Members

Aaah... but they can also CUT frequencies too! :idea::) And that's why most of them have some sort of a gain control - so you can return the signal to unity gain if you want / need to. Of course you can also boost the output past unity if you want with most of them, or lower it below unity gain, so while I wouldn't normally think of an EQ as a "gain pedal", they certainly have the ability to adjust the output level, and I (and many others) have recommended them as an alternative to boost pedals in the past.

Try it and see, but it probably won't be adding huge amounts of noise - at least not compared to the typical distortion pedal.

thanks for the reply.

Archived