what effect is eric clapton using in this song?

mbengs1

• Members

He's only using a Chorus pedal into a cranked Blonde Bassman tube amp. He gets clean chords when he turns the Strat volume down and it overdrives for his leads when he cranks the guitars volume up. No other effects from what I can tell. Guitar chorus, cranked 4X10" Blonde Bassman amp, (one of the best stage amps made in my book).

• Members
He's only using a Chorus pedal into a cranked Blonde Bassman tube amp. He gets clean chords when he turns the Strat volume down and it overdrives for his leads when he cranks the guitars volume up. No other effects from what I can tell. Guitar chorus' date=' cranked 4X10" Blonde Bassman amp, (one of the best stage amps made in my book).[/quote']

Clapton's guitar has a built in preamp that can give him up to 25db boost and is controlled by one of the "tone" knobs.

And yeah' date=' that's definitely a chorus pedal and not a Leslie speaker.[/quote']

I'm not convinced that he's not playing through a Leslie. It's hard to see it in the OP's video because of all the people onstage.

I really like that concert and had it on VHS and DVD - I like to refer to it as "The Steve Gadd Show" (and I've always been a Clapton fan).

You can see the Leslie speakers behind his amplifiers in this video from the same concert.

[video=youtube;BxVTJr142oA]

btw, If you like Steve Gadd get the DVD. The drums sound like a Steely Dan record.

• Members

As Onelife mentions his newer guitars usually have some on board electronics. Most of his early ones didn't. He used mostly vintage pickups with low resistance in the 5.6K range for broad frequency responses. He used a TBX tone originally. I know one used to have a hidden dummy pickup coil under the pick guard for awhile too. Later when he switched to using a 2dB MDX mid-boost circuits in most of his guitars he switched back to a regular tone control.

I was wrong about his amp too. He uses 57 Tweed Twin reissues he had made for him by the Fender Custom shop. The main difference between it and the Blonde Bassman are the twin uses 2X12's instead of 4X10's, but they are essentially the same circuits with monor variances. Even the Chassis are the same.

I'm not sure what year that concert was but I'm found this. He actually does use a Leslie during many of these tours, but he also uses a Boss Chorus and Leslie simulator pedals. The chords during that song posted is definitely a Boss chorus. I am familiar with that ones signature sweep.

Clapton's effects pedals for the 2004 tour were limited to a tri-stereo chorus (Boss Chorus CE-3), a Leslie pedal, a Jim Dunlop 535 Crybabywah-wah pedal (6 way selectable) and a box to switch from the amp to the Leslie or to select both. Eric did and does not use an overdrive pedal. He gets all of the overdrive from the 25dB boost in his guitar, a Fender Eric Clapton Signature Stratocaster. Eric used a Samson Synthetics wireless system on stage. His Martin 000-28EC goes through an Avalon DI box.

Since 2004, Eric Clapton has been using a Carlos Juan CP-1 Pickup in the Bellezza Nera model Martin guitar. These pickups are handbuilt in Germany by Carlos at his American Guitar Center. The Eric Clapton Signature Stratocasters are equipped with Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups.

Cream Reunion Shows took place in May (London) and October (New York) 2005. For these concerts, Eric Clapton changed his set-up a bit. Available to him on stage were four Fender Stratocasters (all were black strats, 2 were set up for slide), a Fender Custom Shop Tweed Twin Amp (1957 Tweed Reissue), Leslie Speaker, Samson wireless pack, Jimi Hendrix Wah Wah Pedal, and a box to switch from the amp to the Leslie or to select both.

Things changed a bit for the 2006 / 2007 World tour. Eric had on stage:

- Eric Clapton Signature Fender Stratocasters, some of which were set up for slide

- Martin Acoustics - EC signature models, including the Bellezza Nera

- Fender Custom Shop Tweed Twin Amp (1957 Tweed Reissue)

- Leslie Speaker

- Samson wireless pack

- Vox Wah Wah Pedal

- Boss TR-2 Tremelo Pedal

- Box to switch from the amp to the Leslie or to select both

On some of the dates in 2007, Eric played a white Stratocaster with gold anodized scratchplate. According to a blog he maintained at the time, it was a gift from his wife and four daughters at Christmas 2006 (See "Christmastcaster" entry in this section for additional details).During his June 2009 U.S. Tour with Steve Winwood, Eric Clapton had the following gear on stage:

- Eric Clapton Signature Model Fender Stratocasters in Black

- 6 String Martin Acoustics - EC signature model 000-28EC

- Leslie Speaker

- Samson wireless pack

- Vox Wah Wah Pedal

Eric toured Ireland and England in May 2009. His on stage gear was:

- Eric Clapton Signature Model Fender Stratocasters in Daphne Blue, Ferrari Grigio Silvertone and Black

- Gibson Byrdland

- Leslie Speaker

- Samson wireless pack

- Vox Wah Wah Pedal

For his Summer 2008 Tour (U.S. and Europe), he used:

- Eric Clapton Signature Fender Stratocasters in Ferrari Grigio Silverstone

- Eric Clapton Signature Fender Stratocaster in Black set up for slide, open tuning

- 6 String Martin Acoustics - EC signature models

- 12 String Martin Acoustic with capo

- Leslie Speaker

- Samson wireless pack

- Vox Wah Wah Pedal

For his Japan, New Zealand and Australia tour in February and March 2009, EC had the following gear on stage:

- Eric Clapton Signature Model Fender Stratocasters in Daphne Blue, Ferrari Grigio Silvertone and Black (The black was a signature model with lace sensor pickups and was set up for slide). Those in Daphne Blue and Ferrari Grigio Silvertone had the mid boost, no TBX, with vintage noiseless pick ups. The Daphne Blue Strats served as his main guitars during this tour.

- 12 String Martin Acoustic - model unknown but body shape is 000

- Leslie Speaker

- Samson wireless pack

- Vox Wah Wah Pedal

The Eric Clapton Signature Stratocasters are equipped with Fender Vintage Noiseless Pickups. EC has the action on his stratocasters set low.

For the 2014 Japan / Mid East Tour, EC used the following geat on stage:

- Eric Clapton Signature Model Fender Stratocasters in Pewter

- 6 String Martin Acoustics - OM-ECHF Navy Blues

- Fender 57 Bandmaster

- Leslie Speaker

- BAE 1073 DMP DI-Box (for his Acoustics)

- Dunlop Cry Baby Classic GCB95 F

• Members

Rates are simple for electronic circuits. ( translated from: "I don't know how it's done but I'm pretty sure it's not magic.") You can get just a choir effect by multing a sound against itself with some stagger. But anyway, the example just lacks that snorting warbly sound that's characteristic of a Leslied signal.

• Members
Rates are simple for electronic circuits. ( translated from: "I don't know how it's done but I'm pretty sure it's not magic.") You can get just a choir effect by multing a sound against itself with some stagger. But anyway' date=' [b']the example just lacks that snorting warbly sound that's characteristic of a Leslied signal[/b].

After making a direct comparison, I am now inclined to agree.

Here is "Badge" from the same concert. He steps on a pedal to engage the Leslie at 1min 37sec and the difference is obvious.

[video=youtube;HVvUQqDVWi4]

Again, a great sonic and visual performance by Steve Gadd.

Archived