Squier Bullet Mustang HH review

Thanks! It was super fun to review. I'm definitely down to answer any and all questions, but I gotta say the Mustang is looking quite a bit different now ;)

XtfXBb8h.jpg

Well Travis, you know what this means, right? Now you're going to have to tell us all about the mods you're doing to it... :snax:

• Members

- So, as I stated in the review I wasn't too fond of the bridge. It worked fine, but I've never been a fan of those block saddle bridges for some reason, and the intonation screw on the the B string was just a hair too long and would hit the string slightly and cause it to sound a little dead. So I ordered a top loader bridge from Guitar Fetish and I like it a lot better, feels more solid.

- I also bought a cheap mustang pickguard (like $4 cheap) off Amazon just to see if it would fit and surprisingly it did pretty much, I had to drill new holes for the 5 screws on the left though.

- I'm not really a humbucker guy, so I ordered some GFS Gold Foils to put in it, and they sound great! Right now I have them both always on and wired straight to the volume pot, but I'm really tempted to open it back up and take out one of the pickups from the circuit and put the tone pot back in. I just can't decide if I want neck only (Musicmaster style) or bridge only (Bronco style).

3Hj2mFg.jpg

oNHTs3z.jpg

571Bl4L.jpg

- I also bought a cheap mustang pickguard (like $4 cheap) off Amazon just to see if it would fit and surprisingly it did pretty much, I had to drill new holes for the 5 screws on the left though.

It looks really good on that guitar IMO.

- I'm not really a humbucker guy, so I ordered some GFS Gold Foils to put in it, and they sound great! Right now I have them both always on and wired straight to the volume pot, but I'm really tempted to open it back up and take out one of the pickups from the circuit and put the tone pot back in. I just can't decide if I want neck only (Musicmaster style) or bridge only (Bronco style).

FWIW I like the sound of both pickups together, the neck pickup, and the bridge pickup by itself, in that order.

I know you didn't care for the original switch position, but if it was my guitar, I'd drill a hole through the new pickguard at that location and install a rotary switch and put a Daka Ware Fender XII type baseball bat / goosehead knob on it. Like one of these, but in black:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DAKA-WARE-Chicago-Chocolate-Brown-Molded-Phenolic-Pickup-Selector-Switch-Knob-/311643156292?hash=item488f612f44:g:JiYAAOxy4YdTSauq

You could also use a small chicken head knob. Either would be lower in profile than the lever switch and less likely to get in your way, but would still let you select the different pickup combinations.

Archived