i need a thicker sounding wah

mbengs1

have look here:

http://stinkfoot.se/archives/549

its a collection on infos to mod a gcb-95 wah. a lot of possibilities all are easily done, making it true bypass and removing the buffer first alone makes it much better.

i don't know what you mean by thicker. by definition the wah sounds thin in one possition and thick in the oposite :)

One of these days I'll have to get around to modifying my GCB-95, but since I also have a couple of other wah pedals it just hasn't been a high priority. I know you can make a significant difference in how they sound with some of those mods. Great suggestion Tele! :cool2:

• Members

a thick wah has a broader sweep. like the wah of steve vai or joe satriani. they both have thick sounding wah tone. i think i need a wah with a volume boost like the 95q, 535q of dunlop or a morley tremonti or bad horsie wah,

• Members

Proper terminology is important. The OP posted two different descriptions of what he wants.

The first he says it sounds thing and wants a wider frequency response, Then he says he wants a wider sweep.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. If you want a wider sweep you usually have to have a narrow frequency band that's being cut.

A Dunlop has narrower band cut then a Morley. The Morley has a milder mix of tone and because it uses an optical sensor its very fluid feeling and has a fairly wide sweep, but not as deep a cut as a Dunlop.

Vox has one of the thickest Wah tones. Gives you that classic Hendrix wah when used with a Fender.

• Members
Proper terminology is important. The OP posted two different descriptions of what he wants.

The first he says it sounds thing and wants a wider frequency response, Then he says he wants a wider sweep.

You cant have your cake and eat it too. If you want a wider sweep you usually have to have a narrow frequency band that's being cut.

Please correct me if I am wrong.

Wouldn't cutting a narrower frequency band result in more frequencies remaining and therefore a thicker sound ?

• Members

Thick means a wide Q that contains a wide range of frequencies.

Thin means a narrow Q which spans fewer frequencies.

#2 is a narrow/thin Q peak containing few frequencies. #4 is a wide/fat peak containing many frequencies.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31939984[/ATTACH]

Since a Wah cuts all frequencies except for the peak only those peak frequencies are left are considered wide/fat - Narrow thin.

If the wah cut frequencies with a valley like #1 or #3 - then you'd be right, a narrow cut would leave more frequencies. Wahs are tuned filters that cut all frequencies except for the peak so its essentially a single parametric boost.

My Morley has a wider Q then the Dunlop and its a less pronounced peak. It has a higher operating frequency range then the Dunlop too. If I were to guess, based on experience, the Dunlop targets midrange frequencies between 500hz on the low end to maybe 5Khz max and centers around 2~3K. The Morley is higher with a range between 1K to maybe 7K with its center around 3~4K Its a milder peak too.

I'd have to actually test the two using a frequency analyzer, but I know each well enough to know the Morley gets a wider sweep and higher response. Its optical too so I'm sure the resistance ranges aren't the same as you'd get using a potentiometer.

I should note, you can change the sweep on a Dunlop by loosening the rack gears tensioner and jumping teeth on the pot gear so it sweeps higher or lower. No matter what you loose some top range on the Dunlop at the point where it contacts the switch. You need to leave some turn on the pot in reserve in order to allow the switch depression.

• Members

My question is related to the "proper terminology" statement in the previous post. I just want to be sure this is clear and not confusing for the OP.

A "narrow frequency band that is being cut" is different than "cuts all frequencies except for the peak."

Thank you for the clarification.

• Members

I've heard the ibanez weeping demon. it didn't sound so thick. at least i don't remember it sounding oustanding or anything. i'm considering the dunlop 535q, or the morley mark tremonti or bad horsie wah. but i will probably buy 3 or 4 years from now. for the moment, i am quite satisfied with my dunlop gcb-95.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Bad Horsie and forget about it. Switchless, good buffer, and the sweep is thick and wide. At the end of its frequency manipulation range, it's easy to get artificial harmonics, too :cool:. It'll take a little time to get used to this wide range if you're accustomed to your Crybaby, but you'll be able to find a few different sounds with the Morley.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members
If you have it along with several other pedals' date=' try just moving the wah to another position in the chain. Might make a huge difference and cost $0.00[/quote']

I tried putting it after the distortion and i really prefer it before distortion. the wah just sounds more clearly heard. though i know eddie van halen used to put an overdrive pedal before his wah.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members
Teese RMC10. Done!

I have an old Teese McCoy, an early 90's crybaby, and a new V847. The Crybaby and the V847 are thin, the Teese is phat.

I know a wah is thin when down, thick when up, but overall, besides the effect, the tone gets thinned out with the CB and the Vox, and is big, thick, and full with the Teese. Don't know why. If I could mod the crybaby and Vox to be anywhere near as phat as the Teese, I'd do it.

But yeah, if your looging for a thick wah, That describes the Teese perfectly for me.

• 4 weeks later...
  • Members

Just put a q trimpot in it, tune it to taste, and put the bottom back on it.

BTW, Vai was using the Ibanez WF-10 around the time of Passion and Warfare and Slip of the Tongue.

Frusciante seemed to get some pretty thick wah with that same pedal.

Archived