All tuner pedals should have...

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

VooDoo Labs should take not of that and put a usb port right in there Pedal Power 2.

Next time around call it the Pedal Power 3.

12.99 on Amazon can put you ahead of the game. 99 cents on ebay.

plus the cost of the lamp

great idea. I use a clip on Everyready unit that takes batteries.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/182332890986?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

61XTnN%2Bvt4L._SL1200_.jpg

If they made that in reverse so you could power a USB-powered item (like the light) with your pedalboard's power supply, that would be perfect...

But I do think it's time for companies to start considering adding a USB port to their power supplies. I'm working on a pedalboard review right now, and the board does have a pair of side mounted USB ports on it. I think with the number of musicians who are using iPad virtual instrument and effects / amp sim apps as part of their rigs, it makes sense.

• 4 weeks later...

That's all true WRGKMC, but OTOH, you need a second AC port to plug it into... and if you already have a single power supply handling everything else on the board, why would you want to add a pigtail, AC power strip or other accommodation to it to handle the second AC-powered device? That just takes up more space on the board. If the power supply also has a USB port built in, or one of the pedals on the board does, it simplifies things and reduces the amount of space you need on the board for "other things."

• Members

Cost is the main thing. You know if that ports built into a pedal its going to cost more then $2.50.

Having an extra AC outlet isn't that big a deal. With the extension that AC outlet can be anyplace

I can see it being built into a brick type power supply. That device can be designed to handle the current draw and also isolation from other devices.

Pedals aren't supply sources. Putting a USB port on a pedal means you're sharing the supply current. An LED light doesn't draw much current. There's no guarantee a musician will use a power supply sufficient to handle both the pedal and USB device.

A USB outlet with a cell phone it may draw a full 500ma to charge the battery. You'll smoke a typical unregulated 300ma adaptor and maybe damage the phone, pedal and wall wart.

People see a USB port you know they'll plug anything into it. They wont be counting milliamps to see if they are being exceeded.

Built into a pedal you're sharing the power supply and you'll need to have 800ma to supply power for the pedal and USB device. On top of that it will need to handle surges and current changes as USB devices are plugged and unplugged.

If its built into a brick style PS it's current draw can be isolated and regulated from the other devices.

From a technical aspect Its just a bad idea from what I'm seeing. Power supplies need to be UL listed and a share supply like that wouldn't be licensed. Your idea here is to use a standard 9V - 200~300ma adaptor that feeds an additional 5v 500ma to an external device.

It could be done is you use a unique supply that can handle both but there goes your argument about not wanting to have an additional power outlet.

Granted, if you only plugged in a LED light that's not going to be a problem because don't draw much current. You know people will see its a USB supply and plug a hand held device and you'll wind up in a lawsuit when they start blowing up they're expensive hand held devices, batteries exploding etc.

Archived