What pedals are on your wish list?

Chris Loeffler

• Members

nothing really... a ehx mel9 could be fun, or a new drive pedal instead of my ts-9, but i just readjusted some knobs on amps and ts9 and now i'm in love with it again...

edit: the biggest down of the mel9 is, that it does not have bypass switch.

it would be cool to have the dry out running to your amp(s) and havin efx only going direct to the mixer.

but having the fx signal always going to the mixer even when the pedal is off is bad. also it would be great if the dry signal path could be switched off so the mel9 sound does only go over the mixer

for recording everything can be done by rewireing etc, but for live its very annoying

and than it would be great if the dry signal and the wet signal could be looped together....

all i see now is cables and more cables :)

Stick the Mel 9 in a TB loop, or use the effect out and put a "kill" switch inline after it - problem solved. :idea::)

I think the pedal I'm gassing for the most is the Prophecysound Pi-Phase. It's a recreation of the old Bi-Phase. I reviewed it a while back and was very impressed with it, but it's a bit over-budget ATM.

The other pedal I've been wanting to get for quite a while is the Electro-Harmonix Super Pulsar. I've always thought it looked like the ultimate tremolo.

• Members

I have everything I need in doubles at this point. I have two complete rigs in the studio, one for myself and one for a guest and beyond that I have dozens set aside which I occasionally swap out for different sounds.

Out of all 50 or so pedals I have and another dozen or so rack effects, what do I wind up using the most? A single $50 Vox Stomp lab multi effects pedal. Go figure. I'm not a huge fan of programmable pedals either. They are much to difficult to tweak in a live situation and if you're patches aren't right you're screwed.

For recording I love the tones I can get and even more importantly it mimics the string touch of actual amps, much better then the other modeling pedals I own which wind up being one trick ponies. I can get everything from the clearest glass like cleans to drive tube amps that jangle, to vintage rock right up to the heaviest metal tones. The best part is the effects are cheap sounding garbage, they are quiet and natural sounding when run both subtly or extreme.

I wish I had separate pedals they worked together as well, including all the amp/cab modeling involved.

The other pedal(s) I've been experimenting with on my main board are cab modeling pedals. They do a much better job then EQ pedals for me by having fixed EQ settings over variable setting like a graphic EQ does. I've always held the belief, if you have to use an EQ its because you have mis-matched gear that really isn't working right and the EQ is being used as a band aid. Of course an EQ can be used creatively to drive some pedals to extremes too but you should be getting a great sound without it.

For me it was a matter of boredom, I love having variety. Trick is I don't want to haul a dozen different amps to a gig to get those different tones.

If a pedal does a good job emulating what I want, so much the better. If its inexpensive too its even better. You do need a decent amp to begin with however. Emulation wont make a piece of junk sound better. It needs to work within the boundaries of what the amp does and uses subtractive methods of shaping, as do all pedals.

Strymon Flint is next on my list.

I just got a their Lex and absolutely love it. Beautiful, lush spinning Leslie sounds..and a perfect mate for my EH B-9

Congrats! The Strymon Lex is definitely one of the better rotary speaker simulator pedals out there, and I totally agree - it's a really good partner for a EHX B9.

Have you tried the EHX rotary speaker sims? Chris Loeffler did the Lester G and the Lester K reviews for HC, so I haven't had a chance to really test one out yet myself, but from what I've heard from the clips, they sound really good - especially the Lester G.

[video=youtube;v74pul6ijLw]

• Members

I have not tried either of the EH Lesters but they were definitely in the running. I was very impressed with their demo. There are features on the G that I wish the Lex shared. I thought about it long and hard before I made my final decision.

The only other sim pedal I actually test drove was an older(I think) DLS RotoSim which was good too but not quite what I wanted. I pretty much depended on the video reviews to educate myself. There are a lot of decent sims out there, but in the end the Lex won me over. No other way to put it than to say that it just sounded better to my ears. Especially the slower rotaion(I tend to default that way more). The next guy might prefer something else.

Because of lack of pedalboard real estate, I was really drawn to the smaller footprint of the Lex verses the big ol G. So I was left comparing the Lex to the K which made the choice somewhat easier.

I am very pleased with the pedal. I run a two amp setup and the stereo swirl is just beautiful. Makes me sound better than I am. Lol.

Oh, I should add that my original rotary sim pedal was an old Danelectro Rocky Road. It served its purpose, but man it could be a noisy hot mess. It finally croaked a couple of years ago. I've just been doing without. So, you can understand why I feel like I'm in rotary sim heaven now. Anything would've been a huge improvement. 😆

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived