Would you wire your board with glow in the dark cables?

Phil O'Keefe

Would you wire your board with glow in the dark cables?  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Would you wire your board with glow in the dark cables?

• Yes, I'd use glow in the dark cables on my board
    • No way.
    • Bacon

• Members

hell yes i would, two major concerns, first all these cables on that site only have 3,5mm jacks, so they are not suited for pedalboards.

and second i have a problem with these type of jacks, no repair possible, and the do not like when they get moved and bent, which might happen on a board a lot when you stomp on the pedals, so if they are in 6,5mm they will fail easy and fast :(

but hey i really would like to rewire my board with those :)

• Members

I haven't seen 1/4" glow in the dark cables (yet) It would make it helpful working in back of rack units where you have a hard enough time using a flashlight.

What I've done in the past is use a dab of this glow in the dark paint on my guitar pedal stomp switches. Its still not enough to overcome the pedals with bright LED's that burn your eyes like a laser. I've also used a small dab as a setting marker so I know where my knobs are set, especially on my Marshall pedals which have shiny silver/gold knobs which are impossible to see in the dark. This stuff is like wood glue so it can be removed from a metal stomp switch easy enough. I've chipped it off a painted surface too but its your call using it as a knob marker. I use a small dot and its not noticeable in normal light.

fetch?filedataid=123273

I haven't seen 1/4" glow in the dark cables (yet) It would make it helpful working in back of rack units where you have a hard enough time using a flashlight.

What I've done in the past is use a dab of this glow in the dark paint on my guitar pedal stomp switches. Its still not enough to overcome the pedals with bright LED's that burn your eyes like a laser. I've also used a small dab as a setting marker so I know where my knobs are set, especially on my Marshall pedals which have shiny silver/gold knobs which are impossible to see in the dark. This stuff is like wood glue so it can be removed from a metal stomp switch easy enough. I've chipped it off a painted surface too but its your call using it as a knob marker. I use a small dot and its not noticeable in normal light.

fetch?filedataid=123273

That's a good tip - thanks WRGKMC! :cool2: Where can you buy that stuff?

• Members

i would not want them for practical reasons, just for the visual effect, even in the rehearsal room just for myself :)

and while just see it, and haven't yesterday, why is one answer bacon? bacon is always the answer...

hmm i will now make some bacon with fried eggs

love my breakfast, hendrix and bacon with eggs :)

• Members

I'm sure why one would would want glow in the dark cord.

If you need a bit of light on you pedal board I use a clip on LED light w/ a flexible neck. I have attached it to the input jack 1/4 guitar cable.

It will give you the light you need to see on a dark stage.

On that note they make LED light strips that could be taped to your pedal board. They come in all kind of very cool colors too. Take one of the empty slots on a Pedal Power II power supply and jimmy rig from an old Boss transformer end and hook it up.

You can even get more fancy with a digital controller and your smart phone

Glow in the dark cables just see so 1968.

[video=youtube;X36ZOWu83iA]

[video=youtube;qeZBMqK0jFE]

• Members

^^^^ What"s wrong with 68? It was a good year for music and new invention. The entire music industry in fact is built on recycling ideas with a new twist.

That's a good tip - thanks WRGKMC! :cool2: Where can you buy that stuff?

Around here I can buy it in an arts craft shop called Michaels. I'm sure you could buy it at any similar arts crafts shops.

I used to use was to use fluorescent spray paint and mount a black light over my pedal board. worked pretty good too.

The LED rope lights like Mikeo mentions might be a good solution. You can buy a roll like this and cut 24" lengths.

Its lind or like wrapping your board in Christmas tree lights but I'm sure it can work if done right. It might be just as bad for blinding you whan you look down so a cool color might be better then these white ones.

94655_ed6f4b6e358b8a29a15f27fcf97e4e2e096d32d2_original.jpg?1429840491

Mikeo's other suggestion of using an LED is good too. I've used the Book lights before on music stands. They make the battery clip-ons in many types. The hammer head shape would probably be the best for a wide board. I prefer something durable you can plug in. Anything with batteries is eventually going to go dead, often times when you need it most.

4g589?qlt=75&wid=460&hei=460&fmt=jpeg&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=2,0.3,3

You could clip something like this to a mic stand on a dark stage. You could buy colored bulbs is you wanted too.

4N690views3.fpx?qlt=75&wid=460&hei=460&op_sharpen=1&fmt=jpeg

These look more like musical gear with its mini par can look.

3f978?qlt=75&wid=460&hei=460&op_sharpen=1&fmt=jpeg

Something with a motion sensor which only lights when you walk up to the board?

6g493?qlt=75&wid=460&hei=460&fmt=jpeg&resMode=sharp2&op_usm=2,0.3,3

Archived