What pedal would you get?

mick96

• Members

Not terribly new to guitar but new to pedals. Got some gifted recently and bought few used and now I'm hooked. What would you get next to help round out the pedal board? Not counting tuner or EQ Pedal. Thanks!

Big Muff Pi with Tone Wicker - Joyo Ultimate Drive - Mooer Eleclady Flanger - MXR Phase 90 - Boss DD7 Delay - Boss RV6 Reverb

[ATTACH=CONFIG]n31907476[/ATTACH]

What amp are you using? Does it have tremolo? If not, a good tremolo would be something to consider.

I know you said no EQ, but the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ is so inexpensive and so versatile (use it as EQ, a boost, or before / after dirt pedals to offer many new tones) that I can't help but recommend it here.

What styles of music are you into?

BTW, welcome to Harmony Central. :wave:

• Members

Not sure what kind of music you play. I recently bought one of those Joyo ultimate drives you have.

I also bought a Joyo Vintage Overdrive JF-01 about the same time. Its a tube screamer clone and I prefer it over the ultimate.

Its a lower gain drive with a creamy tone that's good for all kinds of music.

I You have a phase pedal but no chorus. You defiantly might want one of those. A flanger might be on your list too but they aren't being used as much these days.

The only other item I'd suggest is a compressor pedal. They can really make your chords and leads sustain, especially when playing clean, you can get those acoustic guitar type tones happening.

Those would be your major tools and you should be able to cover just about any type of music.

• Members
What amp are you using? Does it have tremolo? If not, a good tremolo would be something to consider.

I know you said no EQ, but the Danelectro Fish & Chips EQ is so inexpensive and so versatile (use it as EQ, a boost, or before / after dirt pedals to offer many new tones) that I can't help but recommend it here.

What styles of music are you into?

BTW, welcome to Harmony Central. :wave:

Thank you for your reply! I only said no EQ because I know I will be getting one when I can. Thanks for the suggestion of a specific one. I am into Rock/ Alternative. Is it still called alternative? The "good" 80s rock. The Police, U2, Talking Heads, The Cure. "Classic rock" Pink Floyd. Hendrix. Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Some Radiohead. Garbage. The Frames. The National. AC/DC. The Who. I have a Fender Bassbreaker 15 Combo Amp. Glad to be here! Appreciate the response and help.

• Members
Not sure what kind of music you play. I recently bought one of those Joyo ultimate drives you have.

I also bought a Joyo Vintage Overdrive JF-01 about the same time. Its a tube screamer clone and I prefer it over the ultimate.

I You have a phase pedal but no chorus. You defiantly might want one of those. A flanger might be on your list too but they aren't being used as much these days.

The only other item I'd suggest is a compressor pedal. They can really make your chords and leads sustain, especially when playing clean, you can get those acoustic guitar type tones happening.

Those would be your major tools and you should be able to cover just about any type of music.

Thanks for the help! Yes, the Joyo Ultimate Drive is taking a bit getting used to. But I like it better today than when I got it. I have a Flanger, it was kind of covered up in the picture. Mooer Eleclady Flanger. Have been thinking about a chorus. Haven't thought about a Compressor yet but now I will look into that. Thank you very much!

Oh and the music Im into and generally play is along the lines of : The Police, U2, Talking Heads, The Cure. "Classic rock" Pink Floyd. Hendrix. Big Head Todd and the Monsters. Some Radiohead. Garbage. The Frames. The National. AC/DC. The Who.

Thanks again!

Anyone have experience with the Hotone Soul Press?

I've never tried it, but I have experimented with some mini treadle type pedals and they can be a bit different and tricky under-foot. You would possibly get used to it fairly quickly, but be aware that they definitely feel different than using a full-sized wah. If you have larger feet, I suspect this would be even more noticeable.

• Members
IMHO the three things you're most obviously missing on your board are a tremolo pedal' date=' a wah and maybe a chorus. You do have a flanger and a phaser, along with overdrives and fuzz, and also reverb and delay, so you're in pretty good shape already.[/quote']

Thank you Phil. Looking at all three trying to decide which one I will get next. (Chorus, Wah and Tremolo pedals) Appreciate your help.

• Members

The Joyo Ultimate Drive is nice at times but Im often fighting with it because it is way louder than everything else. Not when I want it to be, meaning just turning it on and not even playing. Am constantly tweaking things to fight this. Would a compressor help this? Or is that more just for when you actually play and keeps the notes at similar volumes? And are many overdrives like this? Being this is the only one I have ever owned.....

• 3 weeks later...
  • Members

Yes indeed! I think in just overdrive pedals alone, EH has put out about 4 I think. The soul food A klon type and the East river something which is a tube screamer type and the crayon overdrive. and ?

all at a price of around 60 bucks. I like the soul food a lot and like how the volume stays the same as you turn up the drive. It also has a switch inside for buffered or true bypass.

Put the soul food and the klon KTR (269.00) side by side and their pretty close in sound. I bought the crayon too but haven't tried it yet. Mike's got a long interesting history building affordable pedal effect and helped a lot of people along the way. Got screwed by government politics. There should be some kind of award given to that man. He really has given music some color and great tools. Go Mike Matthews !!!

Let's see, as far as drive pedals, the recent ones are:

East River Drive (an 808 clone)

The Glove (based on the OCD I think)

Soul Food (Klon-inspired)

Crayon (haven't tried this one and I'm not sure if it's based on anything else)

Lumberjack

Hot Tubes (a reissue of an old EHX classic)

Not to mention the various fuzzes like the Satisfaction...

• Moderators

My only issue with EHX gear is size...they just have not jumped on the mini/nano bandwagon with enough gusto. I was reviewing this thread and along with a compressor, a clean boost and a chorus make more sense that a tremolo, IMHO. But his pedalboard still has plenty of undeveloped real estate...

• Members

I'm surprised no one has mentioned a volume pedal. They are really nice to have. When I saw Dream Theater last year, JP used his more than anything else on his rig. The Ernie Ball mono pedal will do the trick, mine recently died after 15 years of faithful service so I bought the mini version to replace it. I still prefer the original, but the mini takes up less room.

+1 for the wah. I personally love my Dunlop 535Q because I can dial in the exact sound I want but you can't go wrong with the original Crybaby or a Bad Horsie.

+1 for Chorus and when it comes to regulat stompboxes, I always recommend Boss. I own(ed) almost every one of the pedals and never had a bad one. Plus they're reliable and built like a tank. I've been using their CE5 for about 15 years or so.

• Members

That's the same conclusion I have with it. You have to crank it to get a sweet spot and that makes it several dB's too loud compared to the bypassed level, and that's with the gain switch on low.

It might be good for driving a tube amp into saturation if you leave it on all the time but when you bypass it your signal all but disappears.

What it needs is a tweak to the output level, maybe adding some resistance to bring the level down to more usable levels.

The pedal is based on a Fulltone OCD. I'd be curious to know if there are any OCD owners who have the same issue with that pedal. If not, I could analyze the Joyo version and modify it's gain to match the OCD.

If the OCD does the same thing, there are a bunch of mods for that pedal on line. One of them must address the gain boosting problem.

• Members

I use a Morley Volume Wah which takes care of two pedals in one unit. Normal wah's use a potentiometer which wears out quickly and they charge you dam near as much for a replacement potentiometer as a new pedal.

The Morley uses photo interrupters and the pedal is simply a shutter which blocks or unblocks the light beams. The new ones even use LED's so there's nothing to wear out. The pedal is all metal and highly durable.

The wah isn't quite as curvy sounding as a Vox or Dunlop, its a bit more mild but I've made many recordings with one and its still a great sounding wah. The one big benefit it has is an adjustable wah gain level. Many wah's, like my old Dunlop used to drop in volume and tone quite a bit which is another reason I dumped using it. I think the newer ones are modded to fix that problem along with a non true bypass issue.

Morley allows you to increase the wah gain above 1:1 so when you kick it on your have the needed boost for playing lead guitar.

The only thing I'm not super happy with is the placement of the wah switch. Its in a tight spot for kicking the switch on and off. Its still better then the traditional switch under the treadle which is always a pain to get it to turn on and off.

Morley does make one that turns the wah off optically when the pedal is fully raised. That's pretty cool because there's no switching involved, you simply go with the pedal. Its not a volume wah however. They have several others that have fuzz and other effects too, all high quality stuff.

They remind me of many of the old multifunction wah's from Japan. I had several with all kinds of overdrives. I even had one with a police siren built in so you could give everyone a bad trip thinking the police were raiding the place. I think I had one that made a helicopter noise too. Crazy 60's sound effects on a shoestring budget. The onset of synths in the 70's quickly made those primitive sound effects obsolete.

• Moderators

My old Foxx [red flocked hideous monstrosity] had the siren, fuzz, wah all in one, total junque...the wah was wimpy at best.

I had a Morley volume boost pedal for many years...unlike modern clean boosts that are spec'ed at +20dB [which I wonder about], the Morley maxed out a +40dB...it would let you cut throug ha 108 piece orchestra...:thu: and built like a tank....but HUGE....I had been tempted to set up a Morley Echo [Tel-Ray Oil can], a Power Wah Fuzz and the VBO together..all had their own AC cords...they were all so big and shiny....

Archived