please recommend a compressor

mbengs1

• Members

the only compressor that i can find here is the boss cs-3 compression sustainer. the problem with that pedal is that it dulls out the lower strings. i don't know why it does that. i need a compressor that just sustains the notes longer without changing the feel or attack of the notes. can you recommend a compressor that does that?

• Members

A Boss is pretty spongy especially with full sized HB's, but it doesn't dull things. Backing down your pickups can help a bit but that comp is very tone neutral if you ask me. I have one but don't use it much. Its too squeezed for my tastes.

Each comp is going to have its own character. The only way you know is by trying some and learning to get the best from them. I have at least a half dozen and each have their own sound. An MXR for example produces high gain jangle with allot of top end. Others can attack the bass more then the top and some the top more then the bottom.

My favorite for years has been the Marshall Compressor. It targets mid frequencies very well and doesn't add allot of odd coloration when set neutral. It does have a tone knob which you can use to balance the tone as needed. This is super handy when switching guitars and you want to match the pickups. I can tweak the tone down when I pick up a guitar with bright pickups like a Tele, or brighten the sound when I'm using fat humbuckers. The attack and release are nice too. You can adjust them to pump if you need to or get very mild amounts. I often leave it running and don't even notice its on till I bypass it and notice how dry the sound gets.

Its got a fairly very neutral running clean but it does add a tube like warmth and compression into a SS amp. Its almost like a clean boost but softer. The Comp really comes into play when you run it before a gain pedal. I'm able to get those Santana and Hendrix sustains going where the notes hold out as long as I keep the strings depressed and it stops when I mute the strings. Nothing there to make for mushy notes sounds good clean or driven. They are rated high in shootouts, quiet, all solid metal, recessed knobs - no cheap parts. They aren't one of your cheaper comps but you can find them used on EBay regularly for about $50.

The only drawback I've found is their shiny knobs. They look good but aren't very practical on stage in low light conditions. The marker on the knob is difficult to see when you're standing in front of it. I got around the problem using some glow in the dark paint and put a dab on the knobs. The marker glow in the dark and are easy to see. I in fact put a dab on all my bypass switches so they are easy to see in the dark.

• Members

SP compressor sounds ok. but i need something that will add sustain mostly. not much to compress the signal. my boss ds-1 has a good amount of gain but i need a sustainer pedal to give more time for the notes to die out.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Origin Effects, Cali 76 and the sliderig. The Keeley 4 knob is pretty clean too. I like the ross type which includes the boss CS3. The addition of the treble knob makes this the perfect ross type compressor. A good comp that doesn't change your tone can get real expensive.

the philosophers tone seems to be a volume boost too. i don't really need volume boost. but it sounds great as a compressor. where can i get one of those philosopher's tone?

It has a volume control on the Philosopher's Tone Micro, so you can set the output level where you want it - you can compensate for the gain reduction from the compression and bring it back up to unity gain, or have it attenuate, or have it boost. There's plenty of gain available for a pretty healthy solo boost, if so desired.

Where can you get them? All the usual places.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PhilosMicro

• Members

It has a volume control on the Philosopher's Tone Micro, so you can set the output level where you want it - you can compensate for the gain reduction from the compression and bring it back up to unity gain, or have it attenuate, or have it boost. There's plenty of gain available for a pretty healthy solo boost, if so desired.

Where can you get them? All the usual places.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PhilosMicro

i currently use two distortion pedals for my lead tone, a boss distortion and a boss overdrive. but i'm thinking of using a compressor sustainer instead with the distortion to get the sustain that i need. i could also use the compressor with a clean lush chorus tone.

i currently use two distortion pedals for my lead tone, a boss distortion and a boss overdrive. but i'm thinking of using a compressor sustainer instead with the distortion to get the sustain that i need. i could also use the compressor with a clean lush chorus tone.

It would work well in both of those applications. :)

• Members

I've had both the Keeley compressor and Xotic SP. They were both equally good. Since I mostly play humbuckers, I found a compressor very redundant, but for single coil, both were excellent. The Exotic was simple and the Keeley has more options. The Keeley is $199 and the Xotic is $132. http://www.guitarcenter.com/Xotic/SP-Compressor-Guitar-Effects-Pedal.gc http://www.guitarcenter.com/Keeley/4-Knob-Compressor-Guitar-Effects-Pedal-1274319727295.gc?pdpSearchTerm=keeley%20compressor

Archived