Question: Stereo In/Out (TC Ditto X4)

Aaron S

• Members

I just picked up the Ditto X4 Looper from TC Electronics, and am pretty stoked about the stereo in/out feature. I'm hoping to plug my Gibson SG and MicroKorg into this pedal, for some multi-instrumental looping. However, I'm only getting one instrument or the other. I had assumed that I could plug two instruments into the inputs, and just run the mono out to my amp, and hear both input signals. However, I take it this is incorrect; do I have to run two in and two out in order to utilize two instruments?

Secondly, I'm getting quite a bit of noise on occasion since plugging in the MicroKorg to this looper. It starts out fine, but after five or so minutes of playing the synthesizer through the X4 and my guitar amp, I get a swift crescendo of deep hum, followed by some loud pops.

Am I going about this all wrong? How have other people handled multi-instrument looping through a single pedal such as this?

The I/O is apparently true stereo - if you plug in two inputs, each will come out of its own output - there is no "summing" of the signal internally.

If you want to use two instruments with it (which really isn't an ideal approach for various reasons, but by all means, feel free to experiment) and you need both to go out to a single amp, you can use a small mixer either before or after the Ditto to combine the two inputs together, or the Ditto's two outputs together.

As far as the noise from the Korg, the input on the Ditto is most likely designed to accept the stereo output from a stereo guitar pedal, and probably isn't intended for use with keyboards. Whether it will work with them or not is beyond me. :idk: I'd suggest trying it by itself with just a single input (from the Korg) and output (to the amp) and seeing if it continues to give you the noise issues. You are plugging in two different types of sources (a guitar and a keyboard) each with different noise and overall signal levels and different output impedance specs - that's quite possibly where the noise issues are coming from.

Archived