Eventide H9 unity gain level ??

J.Paul

• Members

The only accurate way of knowing is to use a DB meter in front of the amp cab then bypassing the unit and reading the actual volume levels. The other way is to use a bypass pedal, stick the unit in a bypass loop then using your ears to compare the unit in line or off line.

Pots themselves are not always that accurate. Circuits have a series of preamps and even though the manufacturer may give you a setting that's supposed to be 1:1, that can change depending on how much of the effect is dialed up.

I bought an inexpensive DB meter from Parts Express for $25. Its good enough for using to balance the actual DB levels from a speaker. This gets rid of the aural illusions of perceived loudness created by pedals when they are gained up. I can go through my pedals one by one and get an output that matches my clean volume levels then do minor tweaks to balanced the perceived loudness or make stepped gain adjustments like I do with my gain pedals so different pedals provide 3 or 6 dB steps up in gain to cut through a mix playing leads.

I've used this technique for a year and it works very well. Its allot easier then guessing and simply using your ears. Every gig has different room acoustics and I have a habit of tweaking things up when the band is cooking but having a fixed baseline is real handy, especially on those first few songs where everyone's trying to get their balance. I have my pedals gain staged to match a drummer who has no volume knobs, just his playing skill to adjust his volume. From there I can tweak things a tad here and there but it sure makes it nice to know you're projecting the right volume levels from the get go, no matter what your ears may be hearing as they acclimate to the current environment.

Archived