New

Captaindeckles

• Members

Awesome. I actually have just been using the ibanez admini. Supposedly it's like those old pink boss echos but with double the echo time. I dig the analog stuff. That korg looks rather spiffy despite being digital though.

And I gotta agree. Some of the best boards are really just an echo (analog) and some sort of goose or fuzz.

Been debating a compressor instead of gain though for lead tones. Hinges on being able to have my amps cranked though.

Back in the day I used to just run a dyna comp into a saturated amp. Too bad I'm broke!! 😭

• Members

By todays standards that pedal has a huge footprint for what the pedal does. They needed that size back in the day but with the new micro components, you could shrink that down to a regular pedal size.

I've used tape echo long before they had analog bucket brigade echoes. I still use my Rolland space echo on occasion too.

Analog tape echo units don't come close to a good tape echo. In fact when you run one side by side with tape, and set both for full echo the low grade sound quality of many analog SS echoes is horrendous. Not only do they have limited frequency response but the noise levels, and limited echo speed range are pretty bad on most too. I don't understand why anyone would think they sound good other then it might be the only echo they own. The only benefit they have is they are inexpensive.

Analog echoes in fact can't have a broad frequency response because they use band passing to prevent aliasing effects. This makes the echo repeat sound thin and midrangy. Natural echoes tend to loose bass response first and treble last. Analog echoes loose their highs and lows and fail to fade into treble ranges like more natural sounding devices.

A good low noise 24 bit digital echo blows the doors off any analog echo I own or any I've heard, in every category. They can sound more like tape then tape does. I understand its about the original signal having the most clarity and the repeats getting thinner and grainer as the repeats progress.

Tape does something similar but different. Tape echoes wind up becoming thinner in the midrange, not thicker as echoes repeat. With tape you wind up with mostly high frequency as it blurs and fades out. Analog looses its bottom and high end quickly and you wind up with mostly midrange loaded with artifacts.

Digital echoes are what you always wanted tape to be - exact copies of the original signal. The only thing they do lack is the tape saturation. There are ways of faking that using digital. and you can EQ the echo to sound like an analog very easily. It just takes a decent understanding of what you're trying to accomplish.

Of course if you goal is to sound bad, Analog can surely help you get there.

By todays standards that pedal has a huge footprint for what the pedal does. They needed that size back in the day but with the new micro components' date=' you could shrink that down to a regular pedal size.[/quote']

Sure, the original big box / folded steel case is huge, but today the Deluxe Memory Man is available in a much more compact XO sized enclosure. And yes, it uses surface mount components.

sddefault.jpg

I love the sound of a DMM' date=' but they never get a permanent place on the floor because of headroom issues.[/quote']

It's really the DMM's only flaw... and for a lot of players, it's a significant one. I had one way back in the early 1980s and had issues with that.

I wonder... does anyone know if the DMM 1100-TT is any better in that respect? I've never tried one, but if I was going to get another Memory Man, I think that would be the one I'd want. It's got loads of cool features. Add in the luscious DMM sound (especially that modulation! :love: ) and better headroom and you'd have something pretty darned close to an ideal analog delay pedal IMHO.

I think the pitch shifted delay has been the focus of manufacturers these last couple of years.

Any particular personal favorites? :)

• Members

Any particular personal favorites? :)

I have tried the Nemesis, DD500, H9 MAX, and a few others. No hands on experience with the Timeline. I found the default of the DD500 to be a bit more synthy, the default Nemesis to be more washed and reverby, and the H9 to be to most polished.

That said, they all could be dialed in pretty close to each other with some deep edits. I can't pick between the Nemesis and DD500, both have their strengths in other areas, and it's a dead heat between the two for the shimmer setting.

• Members

i'll say the DMM (xo) has enough headroom, but it all depends how you set the blend and the level knob.

if the level is above 12 o'clock there is no clean signal anymore, if you are after this sound great, if not keep the knob below 12 o'clock.

equal output level on vs. off is also below 12 o'clock so there is still a bit headroom before it starts to clip

if you set the blend too high (again over 12 o'clock) the repeats get washed out, some like this some not (i'm the later one).

one can set the blend very low and the repeats will not be much noticable if the feedback is also set very low. turn the feedback up to add more repeats, the first one will always be the loudest and most noticable.

keeping blend and level below 12 o'clock and playing with the feedback creates a very wonderfull distinct delay sound which i really love

i think its not so great for slap back delay

and it can't do the digital delay 1 repeat with equal level to the dry signal stuff, there a good digital delay is much better suited

oh and hey i might be the only one, but i do not like the way how the dmm self-oscilates, maybe thats just me, but i think a line6 echo park sounds smoother :)

• Members

Idr if I said so but now I'm just using an ibanez admini. Totally great minimal pedal. 600 ms is pretty good for analog too. Ive had some digitals that all in all were better but didn't do the analog warmth well. Never tried strymons tho. Sticking to mostly budget effects lately. And small footprint. Considering a fuzzolo and a ditto too just bc

• Members
Fwiw' date=' the Catalinbread Echorec is my favorite for the type of delay I like, but I wouldn't recommend it as better than the DMM of your seeking that tone. Curious about the new Xvive Analog Delay. Designed by Howard Davis (who designed the DMM) and features footswitchable modulation.[/quote']

mine is the sdd3000 pedal which has almost too much options, and having dailed in my own presets makes me lazy to experiment :)

but it sound so good with stereo amps ;)

Archived