Five New Offsets from Fender

Phil O'Keefe

• Members

I noticed them appear on the Thomann site recently. It's good to see that Fender has realised that offset fans are often attracted to more unusual colours. I'm not sure whether I could justify purchasing a new guitar but I would quite like the P-90 equipped Mustang.

Have you seen the Ryan Jarman Squier model?

Made in Mexico too.

Alder bodies too, which is also nice.

No case comes with it so add that in to your purchase price.

That seems pretty typical for anything under a grand these days.

[video=youtube;hT7iTP660R8]

Sounds good on the demo! :cool2:

fetch?filedataid=121022

Looks like they're using good tuners too.

• 1 month later...
  • Members

Just saw the other days where a (somewhat) local store that's on my Facebook feed showed them. I've always sort of wanted a DuoSonic. I did buy a Pawnshop Offset Special in shell pink last year from a local store where I've bought enough stuff over the years that he gives me good deals on the cheaper stuff. It's a very nice guitar except the TOM style bridge rattles like a hive of bees. I managed to calm it down by applying nail polish to the saddle joints, but I bought a Mastery bridge I'm going to install this week that should make it just about perfect.

Wow, I'm not a fan of the look but that demo sounded great.

I haven't tried the regular single-coil equipped Offset Series Mustang yet, but I've got one of the Mustang 90's just a few feet away from me and it's been getting a lot of play time. It really does sound good - one of the best sounding Mustangs ever IMO. The P90s (Fender calls them MP-90s) really add a lot to the sound of the guitar.

Stay tuned for the review...

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Man! I just like these bigtime and most of a a short scale. That Duo sonic humbucker and single, Mustang bass (paint your own racing stripe) And mustang. I want all 3 of these. We can always do a refret and a new nut if needed. Pickup of your choice etc. in general it has the vintage formula I be liken lots.

• Members
Any idea about scale?

Originals were 22.5" with 19 frets. Previous reissues have been 24" and 22 frets.

They do indeed have a 24-inch scale length, as I've checked all of these new models out at Guitar Center over the past three weeks. I might also add that they are very well built and each had a very nice medium light weight when lifted up.

And now, for my minor gripe with Fender. :D

I can only wish that someday Fender releases a 24.75-inch scale version of the Duo-Sonic and the Mustang. They have occasionally released a few models over the years with a 24.75-inch scale, but not these. I think the tone is noticeably improved with a 24.75-inch scale along with added tuning stability -- especially with a vibrato unit.

Just as a side note, I've owned a MIJ Hondo copy of the DuoSonic (Hondo AllStar Professional) for the past 25 or so years. It is a superb guitar that plays effortlessly with a very resonant light ash body. It plays so effortlessly that it will totally fool you into believing it has a short scale, when in fact it has a 25.5-inch scale.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Members

Will check out the review, but it's meaningless to me since Fender refuses to do any lefties aside from the most generic of strats and teles. I know we are a smaller market, but for the love of christ can't they do a few special runs once in a while?

Will check out the review' date=' but it's meaningless to me since Fender refuses to do any lefties aside from the most generic of strats and teles. I know we are a smaller market, but for the love of christ can't they do a few special runs once in a while? [/quote']

There probably isn't enough of a market for them to make any money off of them - not for a guitar that costs $500 new, "street". But I do feel for you - it must really be hard to be a left-handed guitarist when it comes to finding gear. :(

That makes me wonder what the actual percentages are - what percentage of guitarists are lefties? I believe it's about ten percent of the population at large, but I suspect some of them play right-handed, like my friend Lee Flier, so maybe the overall numbers for guitarists are a bit less. :idk:

• Members

How are you liking the bass? I purchased one (well, am on my second ...), and think it's a terrific instrument. Especially impressed with the pickups, I think FMIC has really upped their game there. The MP-90's also sounded good to me in a test drive.

Liking this bass a ton.

Edit: Squier just displayed new offsets for 2017 ... which I do NOT care for at all, aesthetically. Anyone see these?

How are you liking the bass? I purchased one (well, am on my second ...), and think it's a terrific instrument. Especially impressed with the pickups, I think FMIC has really upped their game there. The MP-90's also sounded good to me in a test drive.

Liking this bass a ton.

Edit: Squier just displayed new offsets for 2017 ... which I do NOT care for at all, aesthetically. Anyone see these?

Got a link for the Squiers? No, I haven't seen them yet, nor have I seen a press release from Squier or Fender about them yet either. :idk:

As far as the bass goes, I don't want to give away the review... but I think I might like it even a bit more than the Mustang 90. And FWIW, I agree about the pickups - they're very good in both instruments. :cool2:

Archived